Chapter 8: The Toy Store Part 2

Basil, Jamie, and Dawson raced after Fidget to get Olivia.

"Quickly, you two!" Basil instructed.

Then Fidget released a large Ferris wheel toy and it rolled toward them.

"Ah, ya, ah! Look out!" Basil warned.

They dodged it in time and landed on an "Around the World" board. The Ferris wheel bumped into a doll, which started to fall towards them. They ran, but only the board moved and they weren't going anywhere. Finally it ended and they jumped out of the way in time. They continued after Fidget until they saw he wound up a jousting knight and horse toy toward them. Jamie and Basil jumped and grabbed a trumpet, just missing it. However, it caught Dawson by the coat and he was stuck on a bulls-eye. When they got down, Basil was smacked between cymbals and he was dazed from the hit. He fell on marbles, making them go toward Dawson, only one hitting him. Fidget made his way toward the window.

"Bye-bye. Bye-bye," he waved and opened it to see Toby growling and barking.

He slammed it shut then leapt on the register, which launched him towards a pile of toys.

"Stop, you fiend!" Basil shouted as he jumped on a springy horse and bounced toward that same pile.

It broke at the bottom of it, so he continued on foot. He climbed as Fidget did as well. When they made it to the top, Fidget made it first then Basil tried to get him. But when he landed on the top, it became unstable and fell to the ground. Fidget laughed and went up to the roof.

"Help, Uncle Basil! Jamie! Help! Help!" Olivia yelled but it was muffled.

Fidget just sang at his victory.

🎵I got the gears
I got the tools
I got the uniforms
I got the girl
Heh-heh heh-heh heh-heh🎵

The store was a mess as Dawson and Jamie looked for the detective.

"Basil!" Jamie called.

"Basil!" Dawson hollered.

They heard a baby voice saying "Mama" over and over. They followed it to see Basil, tangled in the pull string of a doll and it went up and down.

"Basil! Olivia...she's--" Dawson started to say.

"She's gone, Dawson! Confound it! I told you to watch over the girl," Basil shouted, freed himself, then continued, "Now she's been spirited away by that maniacal little monster, soon to be in the clutches of the most depraved mind in all of London! I should have known better than to--"

"Basil, stop! He's not responsible for what happened to Olivia! I am!" Jamie yelled, sighed, then explained, "You were right; she shouldn't have come along. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been captured. So if you have anyone to be angry with, it's me."

She turned away from him as tears started coming down her face. Basil was shocked at what she said and he felt guilty about it. He walked up to her.

"Don't worry, Jamie. It's not entirely hopeless," he pointed out, gently took her hand, then promised, "We'll get her back."

Jamie sniffled then asked, "Do you think there's a chance?"

"There's always a chance, Jamie, as long as one can think," Basil answered.

Jamie hugged him. He hesitated at first, but returned it. They parted and started to think about where Fidget could've taken Olivia. Dawson placed his hands in his pockets then felt something in one of them. He pulled it out and read what he found aloud.

"Get the following: 'tools, gears,'" he read.

"What?" Basil replied then looked at the list.

"'Girl, uni--'" Dawson continued until Basil snatched it.

"Dawson, you've done it!" Jamie said excitedly.

"This list is precisely what we need," Basil added, doing the same.

"What?" Dawson asked.

"Quickly, back to Baker Street," Basil informed and they were off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Olivia was taken, but they found something that can help find her and the Flaversham's father. Yay!