prologue

THE NICKNAME

Lucy sat in the basement alone, watching some show when the door swung open and Hyde came in

"What's on your mind LSD?" he asked as he sat down on the couch next to her.

She rolled her eyes at the nickname Hyde had given her. Their first encounter wasn't the most pleasant and actually resulted in minor levels of hatred for a couple years.

When she was younger she was obsessed with The Beatles, particularly their song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. She thought it was amazing that there was a song out there with her name, it was her song.

When they were in elementary school, Eric brought home a friend one day. Lucy was in the basement singing softly along to the music as she lay on the couch. The two boys had walked down the stairs quietly and spied on her and she hadn't even noticed until she heard Eric snicker. Young Lucy had jumped up in shock.

The three of them had stayed silent, just The Beatles singing in the background when the stranger had spoken up, "You know that's about drugs right?"

Lucy had furrowed her eyebrows in confusion over who this strange boy was and why he was in her basement telling her that her song was about drugs. "No it's not, it's about me."

The rude boy had laughed in her face, "Lucy, L; Sky, S; Diamonds, D. LSD. You've been singing about drugs."

Lucy huffed, already annoyed with this boys within a few minutes. "What's your name and why are you both wet?"

"We ran into the sprinklers," Eric answered quickly, obviously nervous.

"Ok..." Lucy answered, unconvinced and still waiting for the other answer.

"I'm Hyde."

"Hyde's not a real name," Lucy said rudely.

"It's his last name, he goes by his last name isn't that cool?" Eric answered impressed.

"As you can see "Hyde" my brother has very low expectations of what is cool." Lucy crossed her arms.

"Yeah I can see why now that I've met you."

"Eric, what's his real name?" she turned to her brother, ignoring the comment.

"Don't tell her, it will annoy her more if we stay quiet" Hyde whispered.

"Tell me Eric, or I'll get Laurie to make you tell me."

"Steven!" Eric answered quickly.

Lucy smirked looking back at the new boy, "Well Steven, I wish I could say it's nice to meet you."

The young girl held her head up high as she pushed her way past the two boys and went upstairs. Hyde gawking after her and Eric looking terrified.

"Just the usual Steven, world domination and wondering when you'll leave me alone," she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah right, you like me," Hyde chuckled.

"As if," Lucy scoffed.

"It's alright, I'm irresistible."

Lucy laughed and kept her eyes on the TV as she hit him with the pillow. Steven smirked and shoved her back with the pillow. The two continued this out of sheer stubbornness and competitiveness.

This was the nature of their relationship, taunting and teasing. After the annoyance from their first meeting wore off, they became closer. But they also became more different; Lucy wanted to make a life for herself, and Steven was content with wasting his. And then, without even realizing it, their relationship changed and they couldn't imagine their two very different lives without the other.