thirty five

THE FAKE MATCHMAKERS

Lucy sat in the basement with some of the boys watching tv

"Donna loved Hollywood Squares," Eric moped.

Lucy sighed, "Eric, I understand that you're in the stage of associating everything with Donna but please shut up."

"Forman, come on, man. Give it a rest, huh? So you're single now, that's a good thing," Hyde explained, "Now you're like me, free to be with lots of subpar, somewhat sleazy chicks."

Lucy bit her lip and nodded, "Oh yeah, because that's how you occupy your time." She knew that they were trying to keep it a secret—especially after Donna and Eric's breakup, but sometimes it seemed like Hyde forgot that they were technically in a relationship.

"Alright, I'm going to work, uh—Lucy, didn't you leave something in the car?" Hyde asked, wanting her to follow him.

Lucy huffed, standing up, "Fine, yeah."

They walked out to the driveway, Lucy annoyed as she leaned against the El Camino. "What?" she asked, crossing her arms.

Hyde tried to calm her down by rubbing her arms reassuringly, "You okay?"

"Peachy," Lucy said, blowing a bubble with her gum.

Hyde pulled away, "You're seriously pissed about what just happened?"

Lucy tapped her foot, "It was...a very believable act."

Hyde sighed, "Alright, well I'll talk to you when I'm off work and you're not..."

"Not what?" Lucy raised an eyebrow.

"Not acting like a bitch," Hyde shrugged casually.

Lucy chuckled mirthlessly, "Oh that's funny, because we all know you're the bitch in this relationship."

"Secret relationship. Your idea," Hyde smirked, kissing her on the cheek quickly before getting into his car.

Lucy rolled her eyes, "Whatever." She bit the inside of her cheek, knowing she was being somewhat unreasonable but couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that Hyde was happier single.

Lucy sat at the counter in the kitchen, bored and spinning in her chair.

"This party is a great idea!" Jackie exclaimed. "I'm gonna find the perfect match for Steven. After all my nickname is the queen of romance."