nine

THE DATE

Lucy walked down to the kitchen and took a seat at the table

"Good morning," her father said as she kissed him on the cheek.

"So what are you kids planning to do this weekend?" Kitty asked as she poured everyone orange juice.

"Oh, probably just hanging out in the basement," Eric said, taking a bite of his toast.

"Actually, I have a date," Lucy spoke up casually.

Everyone's forks dropped to their plate.

"What!" she looked around baffled, "Is it that entirely unbelievable that I have a date?"

"With who?" Red boomed.

"Is it Steven—" Kitty started.

"Mom! Ew no." Lucy yelled. "His name is Nick, he's a very nice boy I met him in Kenosha," Lucy said calmly.

Eric actually laughed out loud, "Oh god this is just too good," he wiped away fake tears.

Lucy rolled her eyes, "What?"

"It's just, sis, come on you've never even kissed anyone," Eric laughed.

"You're not going," Red said, drinking his coffee.

"What?" Lucy spun around to face her father.

"We don't know this boy, you're not going."

"Daddy please," Lucy said.

"Red, she can go. She's 17," Kitty reasoned.

Everyone looked at Kitty in shock, she never disagreed with their father.

"Well if we're going to let Eric go on dates with Donna, we have to let Lucy go on dates with this Nate boy."

"Nick," Lucy interjected.

"Nick boy," Kitty corrected herself.

"Donna and I are not dating!" Eric insisted.

Red finally sighed and stood up from the table, "Fine! Can't even tell my own daughter what she can do," he muttered.

"Thank you Daddy!" Lucy yelled after him. She turned to Kitty and hugged her, "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Lucy sat on her bed, deep in thought and on the border of dread. She hadn't been able to stop thinking about what Eric said at breakfast. Then she heard the anticipated tapping on her window. She went over to open it up and Hyde stepped into her room. 

"Alright what's up? You sounded weird on the phone," Hyde said.

Lucy bit her lip, she had thought it over but hated that she had to do it. "I have a date."