Chapter 61

This place is...hectic. They have telephones here that ring non-stop from their followers and alliances sending tip offs of potential terrebit attacks or the elite crews whereabouts. When he said they kept close tabs I didn't realise just how close. They have computers with trackers that don't track terrebit but instead track birds. At first I thought it strange, until Alan explained that birds do not fly over terrebit (explaining why I'd only ever seen a couple in my life - I was living down the road from their headquarters) and so by monitoring the motion of birds and the direction they scatter, they could tell from where the terrebit were approaching and how fast, to which me and Harry nodded at in approval.

This is cool as SHIT.

"So if you're not terrebit, human or resistance what are you? What do you call yourselves?" Harry asks. He seems to have warmed to them more.

"Well, we don't really have a name." Alan the bird monitor shrugs.

"I guess you could call us the Saviours." Janet the maid winks.

We travelled from our house over to here, what they call the "George Orwell Memoriam House". Ironic. This house is where the computers are, and our house, better known as the "Paediatrics House", is apparently centred more for children it seems. Why are me and Harry staying in it then I ask? "Because it's the least likely house for them to search" Hardin replied, to which I pointed out that's probably why they would look their first, to which Hardin replied "That's precisely why they would not."

Reverse psychology at its finest.

"There's a flock of birds 50 miles from here headed North East, so that's a good sign." Alan nods.

"Are you the only bird guy?" I ask and he laughs.

"No, there can be up to 14 bird guys but Thursday afternoons are usually quiet." He admits but I'm more stunned that he just said it's Thursday. I haven't known what day it was for I don't know how long.

"But shouldn't you have all your enforcements out if there is literally a war about to break out?" Harry asks in astonishment. It's strange how different our tactics are from theirs.

"If we have 14 of us here, that's 12 of us on phones, so 8 of us scavenging food, so 5 of us protecting the children, 3 protecting the armoury, then that would 4 of us-"

"I get it. You lack people." Harry interrupts in the most monotone and bored voice I've ever heard and I bend over in laughter but he's not the slightest bit amused.

"You could say that." Alan smiles. "When you add it all together, there really not much need for 14 men to monitor 12 flocks of birds."

"12? That's it?"

"Yes, just the 12. The rest have-"

"Yeah." I stop him. I don't want to hear it.

"So what's the game plan?" Harry asks. "Are we leaving once they're far enough out? A new rebellion war on top of the other one? Or we all just live out the rest of our days here?" Harry asks. I don't think he meant it particularly maliciously, but by the look on Hardin and Alan's faces you'd think we had just killed their puppy.

"We want to protect you." Alan defends.

"But why?"

"I don't know...you're innocent and honestly it gives us something to live for." He shrugs and my chest burns at his words. I hate this world.