Chapter 17

Harry dragged me by my wrist back to the room, anger still consuming him as he chained me to the pole. He had took me away again, picked me up in his arms and cursed at Paul Higgins. I was barely awake, everything sore, inside and out. I caught a glimpse of my mother as she whipped me, her eyes constantly sheeting with silver, and changing from brown to blue, and blue to brown. I think what part of me hurt the most was my chest. It was like it was being tightly squeezed and no matter how many breaths I took it couldn't unclench. It only got more painful as I thought of my mother.

Harry swerved me around in the room and slammed the door. His eyes raged with fury, sparks flying out of his flaming irises.

"Why are you so angry?" I choked, using all my strength to ask.

He squeezed both his biceps, crouching down to me as I lay weakly on the floor, but he stayed staring at the ground. He wouldn't look up at me.

"What is it?" I wheezed, my head becoming blurrier.

He slowly looked up, his eyes burning out and his lip between his teeth.

"I'm sorry" he said firmly.

"If this building was on fire, and the exit was to your left, there was no fire surrounding the door, but a wall of fire to your right which kept everyone you knew and loved inside, what would you do?" I asked.

He looked at me skeptically.

"I would go left" he replied, his voice full of thought.

"Why?"

"If I go right, all I'll do is burn. I can't save them. If you could walk through fire they would all escape, but you can't. You burn and you die."

"So let me ask you a question, Harry. Why is it, that every time I'm about to go up in flames you run through the fire?"

"Because burning something just because it has a spark is against everything I believe in."

"What do you believe in?"

"I believe we came here for a purpose, just like our oath swears. But I also believe the purpose isn't being lived out."

I could barely focus on his reply as his eyes peered into my own.

"Why are your eyes green?" I whispered, reaching up as he closed his eyes, running my had across them.

"Why are yours blue?" he asked opening them.

They weren't completely blue but I didn't fight him. I just stared into his eyes.

"Why are you so entranced by them?" he asked.

"Because" I almost called them beautiful, but changed at the last second "they're different."

"Nobody here likes different." He says, his voice staying stable.

"Nobody here has green eyes." I said, one side of my mouth tilting upward. Harry smirked slightly, a dimple on the left side of his face indenting his cheek.

"They told me you never smile. You always seem to smile." He said questioningly, but his clear, white teeth on show.

"I'm not smiling." I defended.

"You are." he said smugly.

"No I'm not." I said more firmly.

"Do you want a mirror?! You're fucking smiling!" he almost laughed.

"Well you're fucking laughing!" I almost laughed.

"I don't laugh." he stated.

"Do you want a mirror?! You're fucking laughing!" I mocked.

These moments with Harry were so strange. I knew that if I looked away from his eyes I would snap out of it, and I normally gain the strength to do it, but this time I didn't want to look away. I just wanted to keep looking at them. I could hate him and his species all I likes, but never could I ever hate those eyes.

Suddenly my head seemed to split into 2, an agonising pain tearing through the middle, and I clenched my hands around my head, screaming with confusion. Harry's eyes flashed silver but stayed green, his hands over mine again as I clenched my eyes shut. I fought to open my them again to look into his but the pain was too much. And then it stopped. It didn't fade nor did it die down, it just stopped.

I slowly opened my eyes to find Harry twisting his face, holding onto his head. I tried to reach him but the chains didn't reach that far.

"Harry!" I shouted, desperately trying to get his attention.

"Harry!" I called, but he began to clench his teeth as it obviously worsened.

"Harry!" I screamed, and he gasped for breath as though he had held it the whole time.

He let go of his head and breathlessly rested his head again the bed.

"What was that?" I asked, suddenly embarrassed by my show of weakness, as though he hasn't seen worse.

"I don't know." he replied.

"Then why was it in our heads?" I questioned.

"It was in yours, I just took the pain away."

"What?" I asked as he stood up.

"Theres porridge up there if you want." he stated, nodding towards the table that stood next to his bed.

"Wait," I stopped him as he lay his hand on the door. "I know you said that you wouldn't answer another question for a month, and I don't know how long I've been here, but is she really my mother?" I stuttered, clearing my throat.

His head half turned from the door, his eyebrow raised and finger fiddling with the handle. It was as though he didn't know how to answer.

"It's only been 19 days since then." he enlightened me, a sigh escaping my lips as my head fell back to the wall.

"But you should know a lot more goes on here than you think, and soon you'll probably find out what."

"Why? What's happening soon?" I asked, but he began to walk out the door. My nerves ran cold and I had to know.

"Please." I croaked, and his head spun round, his green eyes looking into mine.

He looked back towards the door and then back to my pleading eyes before slamming the door and looking at the floor.

"Something is happening." he said quietly.

"What's happening?"

"Keep your fucking voice down." he snarled, reminding me I was a prisoner; as though I didn't already know.

"I don't know, but it's big. Paul's worried, fuck, I am. I think the Rebellion and the Intrinsecus are teaming, or the Rebellion is going to attack everyone."

"What's the rebellion?" I ask, leaning forward with anticipation.

"Commander my arse. The Rebellion is the group of Terrebit and Intrinsecus who refuse to fight. They seclude themselves on hidden places we're too busy to look at. But they've had enough. They want peace, but after 16 years they've decided there's only one way to take it"

"How?" I whisper.

"Annihilation. Not like this. No prisoners, no torture, no exceptions. Women and Children, Men and Animals."

"There's hundreds of millions of you." I scoff.

"There's 3.3 billion of you, 4.5 billion of us, and 7.1 billion of them. the chances are the human race will become extinct, and even if we do survive there would be nowhere to hide. They would find us eventually."

"So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying we need to prepare"

"For a new war?"

"For mass extinction."