Chapter 1: Part 2

I waited impatiently for the clock to strike 12am, marking the beginning of the biggest war of the year. Although I had grown up with these traditions, my fingers couldn't help but tremble against the trigger, as I held the gun in a tight grip. I had 70 men in the room, 30 men outside my door, and 100 marking the perimeter. I was next to Daryl, crouched behind the kitchen countertop. Beads of sweat trickled down my face, and my breath uneven as I watched the clock. The room was silent, the only audible sound being my heavy breathing. 24 hours of relentless fighting. My stomach was in knots as I waited for the clock to chime; I wanted it to, but at the same time I didn't. The more time I sat in silence, anticipating the blood of thousands, the more goosebumps arose on my arms. I could almost pass out with anxiety; but I won't. I would rather kill myself with a mask of courage than die with weakness.

I'm going to seek vengeance for my father, and hopefully die with the same level of dignity as him doing it

I thought back to the promise I made 10 years ago, and adrenaline rushed through my veins, motivation minimising the knots in my stomach to a mere flutter.

And then it chimed.

Sounds erupted violently from outside of the house, as Terrebit swarmed in their hundreds.

"Hold" I commanded, as the noises became louder.

"Hold!" I ordered, as the men began twitching with their guns, the temptation to shoot before instructed becoming too much.

"Hold!" I reminded them.

"If we don't shoot now-"

"Hold!" I screamed, cutting Daryl off.

I could hear them. They were further away than they sounded. It was an illusion to reveal your whereabouts.

"Ma'am-" a soldier began.

"Fucking hold!" I screamed intimidatingly, and they all stopped twitching, focusing their attention in the door and waiting for my call.

5...

4...

"Hold" I reminded, quieter.

2...

1...

"Fire!" I ordered, and gunshots boomed as soon as they entered.

Cursing and screaming were the only sounds coming from the mouths of those in the room; and probably around the world.

The problem with the Terrebit was they looked the same; like one of us. That's why blue eyes people were rejected. Aiming my gun and firing at the door, I could never be 100% sure I wasn't killing one of my own.

I reloaded my gun as Daryl covered, and then returned to doing what I do best; killing.

They ran in, ferociously attacking the men who protected me.

I was their target; and they were mine.

It was dark, and the sound of rain beat against the windows, that would soon be smashed into smithereens. Lightning attacked the sky, and lit up the dark room in flashes.

Suddenly the screaming, the cursing, the shooting, the breaking; it all stopped. The room was pitch black, and I reached out for Daryl. Suddenly lightening struck, and as the room lit up. A flash of hypnotisingly green eyes stood inches from my face. I couldn't see a body, just 2 piercing green eyes. The room was dark again, and the lightening returned. The eyes were gone. I could still see them though. I could see them with my eyes closed. What the hell was that? I scanned the room frantically for the boy with the green eyes. One of my men would never come so close to me. But he couldn't be Terrebit. None of those monsters had such soul touching green eyes. I could hear my heart beating, and I wondered if they could too.

I wondered if he could.

I felt something grab me by my waist, and pull me away at such a speed the house was but a dot in the distance.

Daryl Hastings

I felt Belle reach out to me and touch my arm. She had stopped shooting and I couldn't understand why. She is the best gunner on camp; she can shoot with her eyes closed, so why has she stopped when the room is dark? Lightning struck for the second time, and a faint shriek was heard from my right. I turned to check on her, but her silhouette was gone. I reached out.

Nothing.

"Belle?" I called.

Nothing.

"Belle?!" I panicked.

Nothing.

They had her.

"Belle?!" I screamed.

But she wasn't there.

I stood from the crouch position, anger pumping through my body.

"Fuck you Terrebit!" I screamed, pulling the trigger on my machine gun, and not stopping until I was certain there were no bullets.

There was no use in trying to find her. Their speed was almost inspiring.

I heard the clinking noise of the empty magazine, and felt tears roll down my cheeks. I knew she was gone. They had her. It was only a matter of time before they dug a hole with their hands and kicked her body into the ground. I made a promise to her father to always protect her. To keep her safe from evil.

But the truth was the day he died it was a battle between darkness and light for her her. And darkness is always a little brighter, right?

With one last tear rolling down my blood stained cheek, I released the empty magazine from my gun, and replaced it with a new one. The face of the little girl with the sparkly eyes flashed through my mind, replaced by the one whose sparkle had burnt out. I could never save her from her own demons, but I will have the honour of knowing I died trying. I held the weapon in my hand to my temple. I failed her, even when I thought I wasn't.

With one swift movement of my finger, the life I once held so tightly slipped from my grasp, along with the promise to my best friend.