Chapter 27

"Stop!" A voice shouts.

I look down, my heart thumping rapidly against my chest and I gasp as my mother stands below with her hand across her chest.

"Annabelle, come down from there" she orders, but desperation and plead is laced through her voice.

I breathe rapidly, my mind racing. I don't want to go down, but I don't want to stay up. My forehead breaks into a sweat and my adrenaline begins to fade.

"Annabelle, I am your mother and I am telling you to come down right now." she orders again, this time more firmly, her eyebrows furrowed.

I laugh to myself lightly. Mother? Who is she kidding, she isn't my mother, she never has been, and she never will be. And that's it.

"See you in hell" I smirk, grabbing hold of the ripped cloth once more and sliding down from the branch, closing my eyes tightly.

I feel the air knocked out of me and I gasp for breath, my eyes snapping open. I'm not on the tree, dead as I thought I would be. I'm lying in their training grounds. I sit up, my pulse quickening with confusion. How did I get here? I stand quickly, my mind on high alert, looking in all directions. My head snaps to the left and I see a body lying on the ground nearby. My mother.

"Jasmine! Oh, Theodora! Shit!" I shake her, her body lying limp on the ground. I press my ear to her chest and wait in silence. Nothing. I try to to find a pulse but there is nothing.

"Help!" I scream. "Help!" I plead, my voice cracking.

I turn back to the woman in front of me, holding back the tears I promised I would never shed.

"Mother" my voice cracks, pleading for a response.

I look around desperately, and somehow find Niall Horan firing arrows in the woods nearby.

"Hey!" I scream, unsure what to call him. I run toward him, my veins popping and a lump forming in my throat.

"Help!" I scream, his head snapping I the side.

Before I can process what is happening I am being held by the throat against the wall, his eyes blazing and teeth grinding, silver swiping across his blue eyes.

I feel my eyes begin to bulge, my feet kicking rapidly and my hands wrapped around his. I feel my face heat up, as I gasp for the breath that I can't have.

"My mother" I try to say, but my voice just comes out as a noise.

I feel myself becoming weaker, my battle for breath lessening. My limbs begin to go limp and my vision begin to blur when I'm dropped to the ground and freed from his gasp. I choke on the air, taking short breaths to try and breathe. I cough rapidly, my throat burning. I look up to find Harry with his hand wrapped around Niall Horans neck, his other fisted, jabbing his jaw over and over.

"Harry" I whisper, my voice so inferior.

I stand, grabbing the wall for balance and watch as he clocks me, stopping his assault before continuing.

"Harry" I whisper, and he stops once more, his eyes burning into mine.

"My mother" I say, my voice hoarse.

Confusion flashes in his eyes, and he looks over to the training ground to where my mother lies. He drops Niall, disappearing from sight. I look over to my mother and he crouches over her. Niall Horan regains himself, glaring hard at me before running slowly over to my mother, his strength lost.

She must mean a great deal to them, because slowly a crowd starts to build. Is she dead? One by one they kneel by her, their heads bowed. I begin to panic.