Chapter 1: Part 1

10 Years Later

"Tomorrow marks the 16th year of the invasion of Terrebit" I spoke nervously into the microphone, as I stood on the podium and spoke to over 2000 members of the Intrinsecus. I bit my lip nervously, looking to Daryl for support before continuing.
"That means the annual war will be upon us. To those of you who do not know, it will be like no other fight. It's every man for himself. No one will be there to shoot from behind when you turn your back for just a moment. If you see a pair of blue eyes, you shoot. Do you understand me?" I command, and heads nodded in almost a Mexican wave, as my voice reached the back of the crowd. Blue eyed people were banned from the camp, against my own will. Daryl insisted we could trust no one.
"May I remind you tomorrow also marks the 10th anniversary of Mark T Foster's death. My father." My stomach sank at the thought, but my new man made mentality pulled it back up.
"If you could keep this man, who devoted the remainder of his life to the Intrensicus in your thoughts, it would be much appreciated. Thank you." I finally breathed, as claps sounded from the ever-growing crowd.

"Good job, kiddo" Daryl applauded, placing a hand on my shoulder, as I descended the stairs of the podium to the ground below.

Daryl had been my father figure since my dad passed, and raised me and my brother like his own.

"Thanks Daryl."

As I walked back to base, a lot of the older members congratulated me, and I managed to suppress a smile, even though I'm not the type of person to show much emotion. Over the years of continuous fighting, the ongoing war has moulded me into somewhat of a stoic.

I could count on my fingers the number of times I've laughed in the last 10 years.

Everything is a bit darker when no one is there to show you the light.