Chapter 12

I can't speak. My throat has closed up and my mouth gone dry. I stay frozen in place as the last person I trusted comes closer to me.

I feel a pit in my stomach at the thought there is now no one. Steve was the last person I trusted and now ever will. It's feels like being given a pass to end the war and the person who gave it to you shredding it to pieces until it's irreplaceable.

"Steve" I remind myself.

"Annabelle" he grins, walking closer to me.

"What are you doing?" I ask, even though it is undoubtedly clear.

"Curing" he smiles.

"Curing?" I almost laugh because i'm at a loss of how to feel.

"Curing humanity" he replies.

"Of what?" I question.

"Of being" he almost whispers, and suddenly his brown eyes flicker, as though electrocution in his iris, and then they're blue, and then he's one of them.

"My father trusted you. I trusted you." I stab his chest with my finger accusingly, but he makes no move to react.

He doesn't answer, and all I can do is stay mesmerised by his blue eyes. How did I never realise? He had had deep rooted hatred for them since they killed his wife and son.

"What about Maureen?" I ask, attempting to see whether it's really him or not.

"She was a mere obstacle to the cure"

"And Benedict?" I question.

"Obstacle."

"How many more obstacles to you have to jump before you find the cure?" I ask almost pleadingly.

"Just one" he smirks, taking my chin between his fingers and tilting it up towards him.

I snap it downward and step back so I can see him at a civil distance again.

"I never loved you, Annabelle. I don't need you; I just need the locket" he shrugs.

Even though this man betrayed me, betrayed my father and betrayed my people, and took every ounce of trust I had left and scattered it across the war ground, his words hurt. It was like your heart being twisted slightly.

"I'm going to get the locket, Annabelle" he declared, his voice suddenly husky and low.

Then it hit me. In my 10 years of having the locket, trusting Steve, why didn't he ask for it then?

"Why didn't you take it when you could?" I ask, my teeth gritted and my fists clenched.

"I wanted you to know what it felt like. I wanted you to know betrayal before you committed it. And so here I am, the betrayal, asking you to betray. Re-phrase. Telling you" he continued.

"Well that was a shit plan since it didn't work. You think because you betrayed me i'd betray them? You think that's going to work? I lost my brother to this damn locket, he died, asking me to promise never to give this locket to you. So you give me 1 good fucking reason" I step forward, ready to pounce hit eager to control myself, "why I'd give you the thing you want?" I was breathing heavily now, the anger firing through my body; Steve being the cannon.

"No. I don't think because I betray you that you will then. As I say, I'm looking for the cure, and I have to break down the obstacles"

"So what was the point in lying all my life to give yourself up for nothing?" I sneer.

"It wasn't for nothing, my sweet Annabelle. You have a wall so high the Empire State Building can't compete. But piece by piece, betrayal by betrayal I will knock each and every one of the bricks down until you're exposed. And do you know what, Annabelle?" he looked me straight in the eye, and devious smirk denting his face.
"I just saw the bricks fall"