The Anniversary

Y/n pov

As I wearily woke up from my forcefully induced slumber I could still feel the throbbing in my head from the impact of Jess's kick. I pulled the covers off and got out of bed losing my balance slightly before quickly regaining it. "She really did a number on me." I thought as I made my way down to the kitchen to get a drink and some pain killers. As I got into the kitchen I began to rummage through the cupboards until I finally found what I was looking for and went to pour myself a glass of water when I head the floor board's creek. I turned my attention to the sound but before I could see who it was the lights turned on briefly blinding me and hurting my eyes. Once my eyes adjusted I saw Jess stood there looking at me. "What was that?" Jess asked sharply. "What do you mean?" "During our fight you suddenly froze up and lost focus, why?" she questioned, I could tell she was getting more agitated by the second. "Does it matter? You won again. Shouldn't you be happier?" "How could I be happy when the win was basically handed to me like that?" Jess complained. "Look it doesn't matter, if it means so much we can have another match at some point."

"I plan to but I still want to know what happened." Jess said getting closer. "I uh..." I began but suddenly Slenda appeared catching both mine and Jess's attention. "Does it have something to do with the date?" she asked. Jess turned to me to hear my answer but I just turned away. "Slenda what are you talking about?" Jess asked. "When Jill asked Clockwork what the date was he froze up when Clockwork told her. What's so special about February 20th, Y/n?" Slenda asked making Jess once again turn back to me."*Sigh*I had completely lost track of the date with everything that had happened lately and being stuck inside the entire time didn't help." I explained as I poured myself a glass of water and took the tablets before continuing. "February 20th is the anniversary of my family's death, I usually go to visit their graves but I had completely forgotten. Some son I am..." Jess's expression quickly softened before Slenda began to speak.

"Where do you go to visit them normally?" Slenda asked. "Their graves are in a cemetery on the outskirts of the forest." "I know which one you're talking about, I often pass by it when I head to town. It's a fairly big one right?" Jess questioned. "Yeh that's the one." I confirmed. "Do you want us to take you there later?" Slenda asked "I wouldn't usually allow you to leave but I can make an exception this time." She added. "Yeh that would be great Slenda, thank you." I said with a small smile. "You're welcome. I'd take you earlier but I won't be around until later in the evening and it would be better for us if we go when there are less people." Slenda explained. "That's fine, I'm just happy that I'll get to visit them, even if I am a day late" "Alright, now that's settled I'm going to bed. Good night Y/n." Slenda said. "Goodnight Slenda" I replied as she left and made her way back to her room. But I noticed Jess was still stood there looking at me, she didn't seem as annoyed but she clearly wasn't happy either. "What's wrong Jess?" "Who taught you all those new moves when you fought me?" she asked. "Jackie taught me how to improve my stance and footwork but the moves I guess you could say I already knew..." "What do you mean?" she questioned. "This might sound stupid but I was just copying what I had seen on tv in the past. To be honest I didn't think it would work so well..." I said rubbing the back of my head.

"I can't decide if that's the most stupid or most amazing thing I've ever heard..." she said shaking her head. "Hey it was working until, well...you know." "As much as I hate to admit it you did improve, I'll give you that." she said. "Thanks Jess. So are we good now? No more hard feelings?" I asked.

"*sigh* yeh no more hard feelings but you better not start getting overly friendly with me or I'll kick your ass again." she threatened. "Fair enough, just no knives if you do." I half joked. "No promises." she responded with a slight grin "Of course not..." I sighed. "Anyway I'm going to bed I'll see you later Y/n." Jess said as she left the kitchen. "Good night Jess." I replied. The room fell quiet but I decided not to hang around so I finished my drink and made my way back to my room and quickly feel back to sleep.