3. Work in Progress

~~~~Later~~~~

I heard the cute human boy groan and looked over to where he was seated, tied to my bedpost. He opened his deep, chocolate brown eyes. "Where am I?" He mumbled. He noticed me standing there, looking down at him. I opened my mouth to say hello, but then he seemed to notice the fact that his hands were tied over his head. "Wh-what is this?!" he yelled, "Who are you?" I could hear his heart beat, faster than a squirrel's on a sugar high.

"Calm down," I said, keeping my voice level, "I don't plan on hurting you." I knelt down to his eye level so I would seem less intimidating. "How much do you remember?"

He stared at me for a moment, confusion etched across his features. "Why am I still alive?" His voice shook.

I chuckled, "All of it, then?"

He pulled against his restraints. "Answer my question," he growled, "And why am I tied up like this?" His glare was quite intimidating for a human's.

I sighed. "You're here because the Association is killing us off for no reason. There are some of us who just want to peacefully coexist with humans, you know," I couldn't keep the hint of bitterness out of my voice, "And, for the record, I didn't want to tied you up, but I got voted out. Plus, we didn't want you getting away, or attacking one of us."

"A peaceful coexistence? Vampires?"

"Yes," I reach into the little pocket on the inside of my vest and extracted a small black box with a simple white design in the top. I opened it, showing him the little white tablets inside.

"Blood tablets

"Blood tablets. The Vampire Aristocrats created them about three months ago. It's still a work in progress, but it works for most vampires. We've been strictly living off of them, and have only had a few slip-ups."

"So you've created a blood substitute?" The boy asked somewhat doubtfully.

"Ah, kind of. Blood is still involved, but no humans were harmed beyond the extent of a needle." I put the box back into my pocket.

"What about the slip-ups. I'm guessing those are the random human disappearances?"

"Well," I cringed, "yeah... The tablet aren't perfect yet.." I didn't see any need to elaborate further.

"Okay..." He paused, "Any chance you could untied me? I can't feel my arms.."

I smirked, "No can-do, Cutie. Like I said, none of want to be attacked. Besides, it's not my choice to make anyways. One of my superiors would have to stop by."

I saw his cheeks flush at the nickname. "'Cutie'?" he sputtered, "I am not cute."

I smirked, "You are by far the cutest human I have ever seen." His blush deepened. "Plus, I don't know your name."

He hesitated for a moment, eying my suspiciously. "Nico," he said finally.

"Nico," I repeated, liking the way it rolled off the tongue, "I like it. I'm Will."

"Okay.." He took another futile pull at the ropes. "How long will it be until your superior stops by and how do I know they'll even untie me?"

I rolled my eyes. "You just have to be patient. And, you'll only have to give your word that you won't run off and start attacking people without a good reason for the duration of your stay with us." I didn't have to be a mind reader like my friend Lou Ellen to know what he was thinking. "And no, touching you is not a got reason."

"The duration of my.." He looked alarmed suddenly, "Wait, how long are you going to keep my here?"

"Long enough for you to get a basic understanding of our lifestyle, to see our side of the story."

Nico was silent for a moment. "So you want to stay here, get an inside view of how you b–" he stopped himself. "You people live, and report it back the Association?"

"Yes. Too many Aristocrats are getting killed off simply for being in the same room with a hunter. We are the ones who govern the average vampires. Not to mention, though you people don't seem to realize, we have families. Most everyone has lost someone to you hunters." I was angry now. Every day, there were tears. Every day, someone was killed.

Nico's voice was hardly above a whisper. "We hunters have lost people, too..." His expression was desolate and sad.

(Nico)
Will's expression softened along with his voice. "I know," he put a sympathetic hand on my shoulder, which was awkward with the way my hands were tied. I recoiled from his touch, but he didn't take his hand away. "So let's try to forgive each other."

Word count: 786

Wow, okay, that was a long chapter.. I need some sweets..

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 46 READS!!! That doesn't really sound like a big accomplishment, but I feel so proud; I didn't think anyone would read it!