War is war

CHAPTER 7 - WAR IS WAR

TARA'S POV - 16 years and a half ago

I barely retained a girly giggle as he kissed my temple, our hands entwined. It's been a long, stressful day, well, make it week, ok, months, yeah, months ... these past six months haven't been exactly easy, I'm trying to take it on my shoulders as much as possible, because I know Lukas is too busy with finals to think about the rest as well, I know he'd want to help, but I'd rather he focused on his studies, he's so stressed lately.

"It's my fault", my husband whispered, and I turned to him, confused, which caused him to grin, amused. "She's taken the habit from me, my mom always told me I was a real pain in the ass as a newborn."

I chuckled, nuzzling his chest. "I doubt your mom would speak like that", I argued. I've never known the woman, but given what he recounted me, she was a true angel on earth, hardly would she speak of her beloved son in such terms.

Lukas grinned, squeezing my hand. "Yeah, no, she said it differently, but I presumed that much."

I laughed, this time wholeheartedly, but soon covered my mouth, knowing that even the tiniest noise was risky in such situation. Nicky fell asleep barely ten minutes ago, after hours – hours – of lulling. She barely sleeps at night, and consequently, neither do I, I get up every hour to go see what's wrong ... I won't deny I'm worn out. 

I've bought ear plugs for my husband purposely, this way he can have his resting sleep, so that in the morning he'll be able to study and all. I'm being such a considerate wife that I swear, after he graduates, Lukas will owe me more than he could afford. Then again, I also owe him tons of interrupted sessions ... it's quite tricky to have sex when you have a newborn waking up at the tiniest noise.

Sighing, I rested my head on his shoulder, draping my arm over his torso. "I love you so much, Lukas." I admitted, placing a small kiss on his naked chest. It's in these tough periods that I feel like remind him, the same as he does to me, because I feel like we need to keep that fixed point in sight, so that we won't lose ourselves. 

At least that's what my grandma says: whenever you're tired, exhausted, you feel like you can't stand a minute more of marriage life, remind yourself why did you marry him in the first place. Why did I marry Lukas Bennet so early? Because I love him with my whole heart, and I can't be without him, that's why. And he gotta know that. He gotta know, every day of his life, how much he counts for me.

He smiled, kissing my temple. "I love you more, baby."

I smiled as well, tucking myself closer in his arms. Maybe tonight our daughter would grant us some peace. These six months have been hellish, can't deny it, Nicky swallows all my time, in the beginning Lukas and I split our duties, but since three months now he's entered a tricky period, and I don't want him to get distracted, so I've taken upon my shoulders everything, from Nicky to the house, the bills, the rent ... everything. 

My husband does nothing but study for his finals and work on his thesis – he could avoid that, but he says he wants to anticipate graduation as much as possible, so that then it'll be easier.

If I gonna be honest, sometimes I think it's luck that my husband is ... well, rich, because this way I can take care of everything without worrying that I'm currently unemployed. I've been sending curricula everywhere, but found nothing, wasn't there Lukas' fund, we'd be screwed. 

Even though, Fran says that whenever I'll want my old job back, she'll be there waiting, but, well, honestly ... I didn't sweat blood on books for so long to be waitressing my entire life. As it is, I'll go back to working at Fran's café only if circumstances will force me to.