It only takes one click

Before reading on, if any of you makes covers and would like to make one for this story, I would be really grateful...thanks :)

Ah! WARNING! Mature scenes ahead :P

CHAPTER 8 - IT ONLY TAKES ONE CLICK

TARA'S POV - 9 nine years ago

With a sigh, I twisted the handle and entered. "I'm home!" I yelled to anyone. "Lukas?" Not receiving any response, I frowned, confused. Normally I would have Nicky and Gloria jumping in my arms while the babysitter or their father desperately try to keep up, holding Zach, but this time ... nothing.

"Babe?" I called, closing the door behind me, actually starting to worry. We've just moved to this neighborhood - we had to, with three kids our old apartment was starting to get asphyxiating -, it's supposed to be quiet, given that it's your typical wealthy family suburb, but, well, you never know. Or maybe I'm just used to central Boston's life.

I'll admit, I still gotta get used to this place. I've spent so long amongst the city noises, that even though I've grown up in a tranquil - at least for what concerns my side of it - town, I feel a little confused here, with all this peace. Sure, the city is just ten minutes of drive away from here, but ... I don't know.

I walked into the kitchen, and my eyebrows furrowed when I saw nobody. I slipped the phone out of my pocket, to check my messages, thinking maybe my husband had left me a text to tell me where did he and our kids disappeared, but nothing. All I got were texts from my annoying employer, reminding me for the hundredth time that the article is due for Friday. I'm so damn close to quitting, I swear.

I was editor-in-chief of a small publishing house, but I took maternity leave when I was pregnant with Zach, because I took it earlier - fourth month instead of sixth, because of some minor complications -, my employer decided he could replace me ... I'd have fought back, but honestly, I was glad I got sacked, ever since he took over his father's publishing house, workplace had become pure Hell.

I'm not lucky with employers apparently. My current boss is a complete moron, too. Lukas keeps telling me to quit, but if I do, then what? My field is ruthlessly competitive, and for how crappy this job is, it's still a position that people would die for. I am looking for something better, though. As soon as I'll find it, I'll say adieu to that moron.

For now, the priority is paying off the mortgage we had to take out to buy this house. At this stage of his career, Lukas doesn't gain enough for us to live off his wage only, so I gotta suck it up and keep going. At least my stipend is good enough. We're well off, it was buying the house that took us off balance, but it was worth it.

I reached over to the fridge, in order to get some water, thinking that maybe my hubby brought the kids to the park. Hadn't my stupid employer called, I'd have spent this Saturday with my family, instead no, I had to remain with him almost all day ... I was able to ditch by mid-afternoon merely because his wife came down to make a scene.

Ugh, that woman hates me. She thinks I'm screwing her husband, can you believe it? Me with that jerk? Ew. I did marry a former jerk, but at least my husband changed with age, my employer is close to 50, yet he's still a complete and utter asshole. I heard he also has a habit of hitting on his PA ... well, he just gotta try it with me. I'll sucker punch him before he can even say ouch. To think he's such an esteemed chief editor.

Sighing, I leaned against the fridge as I sipped my water, observing and listening to the emptiness of the house. We moved in right before Gloria's 4th birthday, a few months ago. It's a good place, a good neighborhood, Nicky has already found her best friend, and Gloria too gets along with the kids at the park. It's great. If only I could live it a little more, maybe it would be easier to get used to it.