What went wrong

So this chapter is a little longer than the others, I couldn't split it without losing its sense. It helps explain what happened between Lukas and Tara, why do they hate each other this much.

Hope you'll enjoy,if you do (or don't), please don't be shy, hit that star and leave a comment ;)

Ah, stay tuned! I'll be posting another reaaaaally steamy story right away ;)

CHAPTER 11 - WHAT WENT WRONG

Three years ago

LUKAS' POV

"Can't we try to fix it?" I asked, putting my pride aside for once, and reached for her hand. "We've been together for 15 years, Tara, and we have three children. Shouldn't we at least try to fix it before throwing it all out of the window?"

She sighed, retrieving her hand, and that was already a bad sign. I went out of my way to reenact our very first dinner, where everything started, then one where we kicked off roommates with benefits thing. 

It was way easier back then, words and actions seemed to flow out of me, I was driven by the sheerest steel determination to catch my roommate's heart, I didn't quiver, didn't hesitate, no matter how much her rejections prickled my pride and hurt me, I was dead set on catching the uncatchable.

Now look at me, 15 years later, losing that same heart I worked so hard to conquer. We're drifting apart, and I don't have a clue on how to stop this catastrophe.

The most I thought of was dinner. I thought, maybe, seeing our past would awaken her best memories, she would recall why did she choose me, why did she give in to her persistent roommate, no matter what her mind said.

When I asked, the couple that now lives in our old apartment demanded I paid at least six months of their rent and bills, if I wanted to use their place for a weekend ... when I so clumsily pointed out that, you know, their landlord is a good friend of mine, and he gave me his permission, on condition that they agreed, they didn't believe me, so I had to bring in the big shot, Jake did the tough voice, and it was all settled. I still had to pay for their weekend in Hawaii, though. Some people just look for a dupe to fool. I gave in simply because I was desperate.  

I'm trying everything to save my marriage, can you blame me? I love my wife, despite everything, and I need her to see reason. We can't just throw away everything we've built together like nothing.

"Lukas, we're always fixing it, patching it up. Maybe it's just not meant to be." And here goes the first blow.

Stubbornly, I reached for her hand again. "You said the opposite at that high school reunion. You said you finally saw it, we really are meant to be together. Why change your mind now?"

"Lukas ..."

"I get it, I've made mistakes, I've been a real asshole, but we agreed it wasn't just me."

"It's not about faults here. It's ..."

I sighed, closing my eyes, as I prevented her. "Yeah, it's about you not loving me anymore."

"Lukas ..." Tara rubbed my hand. "I'm sorry I said that, okay? I hurt you, I know I did, but ..."

"But it's the truth."

"It's ... a path I am on. And I don't know how to step off it."

Sensing a glimmer of hope in the uncertainty of her voice, I entangled our fingers, daring a smile. "I made you fall once, I will again."

"Lukas ..."

"I am a very persistent man, baby. You know that."

She cracked a small, tiny smile, nodding. Well, here goes nothing. One last shot at saving our love.