Hi, Bitch

CHAPTER 29 (PART 2) - HI, BITCH

PRESENT

LUKAS' POV

This is a horrid idea. A horrid, horrid idea. But ... she's the boss, so I comply. What else am I supposed to do? It's a condition to get back to our idyll.

"Ready to roll?" Tara asked, amused. I'd have expected her to be nervous, agitated, upset, after all it's her ex best friend, yet ... she was calm, utterly calm. Actually, she looked as if she were about to enjoy the funniest comedy instead of facing her old friend. I'm impressed.

When I nodded, we entered the restaurant. I gave the waiter my name, and he accompanied us to our table, where Tara and I sat alone.

"Fancy ..." she mused, gazing around.

"It's a five star, what did you expect?" I grumbled, not in the mood. This was such a stupid, horrible idea. I know Sheila. She's gonna be pissed when she finds out I'm not alone, and pissed Sheila means vindictive cobra. She's gonna fuck up my every effort at having Tara forgive me, I know that.

Tara smiled, sipping water. "Cheer up, Bennet, it's not that bad."

I rolled my eyes, placing the menu back onto the table. "Really? Then why do I feel like I'm about to be thrown right into the middle of a war?"

She eyed me cautiously from the corners of her eyes. "If I didn't know you any better, I'd say you're afraid ... you've got nothing to hide, have you?"

"We haven't gotten to the lies part yet, so I suppose yes, there are things you don't know."

She bit her lip. "Mmh ... and do these concern a Sheila Sanders?"

"You didn't want to hear how it went, now it's all gonna blow up in my face. I know it."

She snorted. "You think I'd believe her instead of you?"

"Oh, come on, you always do that. Anyone's voice is truer than mine to you. You tend to take for granted I'm a cunning liar."

"Well, that might be because you've spent the past years lying straight to my face."

I sighed. I knew this would end badly. "Tara ..." I reached for her hand, but she retrieved it. I've never seen in such a combative attitude. She looked like a ruthless warrior readying to tear down her enemy. In other circumstance it would be sexy as hell, but right now ... I had to fear for my life.

Sheila is even only the first one. After her, there are the others. The positive part is that, if I come out of this dinner alive, the rest will be easier, even Tara meeting Belinda will be nothing compared to this, but the question is, will I survive this dinner?

Before I could answer to my own doubt, we spotted her.

"What did you say? She only wants to talk? Yeah, that dress says exactly let's talk. In bed, that is." Tara snapped sourly.

I ignored her, for my own good. Sheila wore a tight-fitting strapless red dress that served to put the accent on every single one of her good traits. More than a few eyes turned in her direction. I only wish this will be over soon.

The moment she spotted me, she grinned widely, happy to see me, but ... when she noticed Tara beside me, her smile dropped.

"Everything I find out throughout this dinner can and will be used against you, Bennet. You better know that." My wife underlined, menacing, as we stood.

I sighed, not much ready to face my sentence. She's gonna kill me. I know Sheila, she's gonna come up with the worst crap, and I'll take the fall for it.