Stray Heartbeats

CHAPTER 13 - STRAY HEARTBEATS

TARA'S POV

I marched straight out of the elevator, determined to give my soon to be ex husband the lesson of his life. Right before his office, there was his intern's one, the door was wide open, and the bitch sat right there, polishing her nails while she spoke on the phone. She saw me, oh yeah, she did, and she paled.

The paleness of a hoe that's about to get humiliated in front of everybody by her lover's wife.

I would love to do that. I really would. But ... I'm not here for that. Hence, I walked straight past her, heading directly to his office. I didn't even knock, I know that he just finished his visits, by this hour he's always busy with paperwork mostly.

"What the ..." Lukas nearly flinched when I swung the door open, and his gaze immediately hardened when he spotted me. I bet he'd rather it was his French bitch. It sickens me to think that we've had many sweetly hot moments in here, yet now this same office is the reign of that hoe, but hey, I'm getting rid of the jackass, he's all hers if she wants him, she'll soon learn he's not worth one minute out of bed.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Lukas barked as a manner of greeting. To think that there was a time when he would grin like a Cheshire cat every time I surprised him here.

Barely letting myself smile, I slammed the stack of papers onto his desk. "Did you know? Revenge porn is a crime prosecutable by law in Massachusetts." I admired my freshly polished nails. "I can not only sue the hell out of your dumb ass, but also have you arrested, jerk." Yes, I did my research. They do say revenge is best served cold, so I let these two weeks pass, just so he thought he'd won, but meanwhile, I planned my strategy. I talked to another lawyer, just so Mae wouldn't get involved, I researched, and used up a favor someone in my ex staff owed me, in order to get access to the visual editing tools. Like I said, if you sleep with the dogs, you're bound to get fleas. If you sleep with Lukas Bennet, you're bound to learn how to be a jackass sometimes.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He denied, leaning back on his chair.

"Sure no. Well, it's everything in the papers there. It wasn't really wise of you to leak that tape, you know? Because there's not only a woman in there, the man is, well, clearly recognizable ... if you have the right tools. Have fun resurfacing from the mud puddle, Dr. Bennet. Opposite to mine, your pretty face is well known around here. The right wing media are gonna love to tear down one of the most known left wing voters."

He snorted, though grabbing the stack of papers. "You think I care? I'm not running for elections nor anything, I just admitted I'm with the Democrats. No harm done."

This time it was my turn to snort. "As if we both didn't know they've been thinking of offering you candidacy to represent our district in the next election."

"You're mistaking me with the other Lucas, the billionaire. He was offered a place at the US Senate, not me."

"First of all, House of Representatives and Senate aren't the same thing - gosh, he even entered Yale, I wonder how -, then, I may be a lousy newsroom's producer, nobody would care about my scandal, but what about the great Dr. Lukas Bennet? You wanted to dig up this story, now it's coming back to bit your ass."

He didn't flinch, like I expected, actually, he looked pretty calm for a man whose future might be jeopardized. Lukas nodded, playing with his pen. "Well played. I could lose my license, the clinic might fire me. I'd lose everything I've worked so hard for. Bravo."

Somehow that didn't sound as positive as it should have. Why wasn't he panicking? Why wasn't he worried his life might be ruined? The answer came when he reached for his drawer, and pulled out ... a VHS? Do those things still exist even? Standing up, Lukas went over to the TV across from the bed where his patients lay, which he put there on purpose, just so they would focus on the whatever thing on TV other than on his possibly painful moves. He inserted the VHS in the recorder, and pressed play.