As simple as that

Before letting you read on, I want to apologize...this chapter came out quite weird, and I'm really not sure about it, so sorry if you feel like it disappoints you.

Also, thank you for the patience, I've been in neck deep with work and couldn't write. Now I should be able to update more regularly, and I think there are only max 5 chapters left.

CHAPTER 33 - AS SIMPLE AS THAT

GLORIA'S POV

"Mom?" I called tentatively as I entered the brand new library in our attic, the one basically only mom uses, since it's hers, her sacred haven donated by her desperate ex husband that would give her his kidneys if that helped to get back in her graces.

I dragged Nicky with me, of course. These jobs are better done by girls, and my brother fell asleep with a book on his face, so I figured I'd let him be. Funny how Zach is the only one that's picked up mom's love for books, yet he's also into a lot of sports.

In the beginning I thought he was only sucking up to our parents, I mean, the reading and the soccer for mom, the cooking and baseball for dad, but it turns out, Zach really enjoys these kinds of things. Good for him, I couldn't raise a ball to save my life.

It's funny seeing him fuss about arts now, though. There's this chick in school, he's crushing on her, and she's a wannabe painter, so ... you know how that works. Boys change skin faster than a snake when it's about a girl. In my brother's defense, his interest seems sincere. 

It might be because they're only 11 and they have no idea what does sex mean, but I'm gonna stick to the sweet version of my brother, the unbearable pain in the ass I love so much having a big crush on this cutie for no other reasons than, well, she's cute and smart and funny. Lovely.

I gotta be proud there and say that growing up with three women has been helping that little monster to grow up like a proper respectful boy. I just wanna hope we'll be able to fend off the influence those savage friends of his might have on him.

Now, back to my mom and her sacred haven. "She's asleep." Captain Obvious pointed out.

"You don't say? It's 2 am in the morning."

Nicky rolled her eyes. "Exactly. Why the hell do you keep me awake?"

I snorted. "You're always awake at this hour, don't start whining now."

She sighed. "Yeah, whatever, why are we here if she's sleeping?"

I rolled my eyes, barely retaining myself from groaning, exasperated. "Because ... dad is gone, mom's cried her heart out, and we need to do something." Hell, yeah. I can endure another one of their goddamn crises.

"What exactly?"

"I don't know ... confirm our fears for starters. Zach said they talked about a baby, but we gotta be sure."

"And how do you think we can confirm that by hanging around in her reading haven in the middle of the night?"

I heaved a big sigh. "There's a restroom right there, Sherlock, maybe ... I don't know, we can see if there's a pregnancy test?" Mom comes up here when she needs time on her own, I can only figure she'd come here while waiting to get good or bad news. Also, I doubt she'd sleep in her bedroom given that dad has left. Again, might I add. God, these adults ... you gotta watch their every step and nudge them towards the right direction 24/7, gee.

"I've got an idea." Nicky mentioned, and my eyes brightened. Maybe she'll start collaborating now. "There's a pretty quick way of finding out what happened ..."