The Test

CHAPTER 32 - THE TEST

LUKAS' POV

I gotta fix this. Now. I gotta fix this right fucking now. I won't spend the night far from my family just because of this whole shit. Not a chance.

I knocked furiously on her door, uncaring of how irrational I could be. This gotta end. I'm tired of being pulled back and forth, losing every single damn chance because of this or that. I'm sick and tired of seeing Tara cry, damnit! I can understand when it's my fault, when it's me to have fucked up, but not like this ... no, I'm not gonna lose my family again, especially not like this.

"Lukas?" Valentine called, marveled. Of course, she wasn't expecting me. "What are you doing here?"

"You're coming to the lab with me. Right now. We're going to solve this shit right now." I blurted out, uncaring of how insane I sounded nor how loud my voice was.

"What?"

I clenched my jaw, hating her like I've never hated anyone. "You're not gonna ruin my life, I won't allow it." I spat, grabbing her arm. "You're coming with me to the lab at the clinic, we'll take the DNA test, and once I'll have proved that bastard of yours is not mine, you can get the fuck out of my life. For good."

"Lukas, you're hurting me ..." she whined, even too loudly for it to be true.

"I'm barely touching you. Just come with me."

"Are you drunk?"

"Oh, for God's sakes, I'm perfectly lucid! Just come and we'll solve this fucking shit once for all!"

I heard a couple of doors opening, and a voice or two addressed Valentine, wondering what was going on. The bitch lied through her teeth, obvious. "I-I don't know, he just came here looking crazy ..."

"I'm not crazy." I defended weakly, even though I knew I was digging my own grave. I really don't give a shit right now. I just need this whole damn situation to be fixed. I need to go back to my family, built back up what this bitch is crushing with her stupid insinuations. I need this to end. I'm this close to getting my life back, I won't let a damn French bitch ruin it for me just because she thinks I owe her something.

I stepped back from Valentine, and sighed. "I only want you to leave me and my family alone, Val. That's just it. I'm only asking for truth." I admitted, trying to lower my voice, sound calm, because I'd already heard some old woman calling for a Pierre. Some great protective neighbors this bitch has, huh?

"We're going to be your family now, chéri. Don't worry." She had the nerve to coax.

It took me all I had not to yell at her, I swear. I know her, she'd see to turn my every action against me. She'd be easily capable of claiming I came here to abuse of her. "I have a family." I whispered-yelled, furious. "I have a wife and three kids, and I need to get back to them. The sole thing keeping me from them is you with your goddamn lies."

"I'm not lying, Lukas." On cue, the little blonde boy appeared at the door, seemingly scared, and clung to her leg. She caressed him soothingly, believe it or not. I'd have never pegged Valentine for the motherly type of woman. "This is Fabien, remember?" She ruffled the boy's hair with a smile that was even too sickly sweet for my liking, and a loud voice that, clearly, was made to let her neighbors hear. "This is your son, Lukas."

Some women gasped, and a man, supposedly Pierre, came out, asking what was wrong, if my French is any good. I should have known the bitch would want to make a scene. More than ever I need to keep my cool, with these many witnesses even only grabbing her arm again would send me to jail.