Chapter no.48

Cameron's POV:-

I never felt this lonely. I never felt this desperate and sad. I didn't know if she had still forgiven me completely or not. Did she even love me anymore? I had sensed how she was pushing me away. I had begged her to move in with me again but she had refused.

I never want to see you again.......

My own words now echoed in my mind and I knew it had been a terrible mistake.

Her phone went to voice mail once more after the fifth ring. Why wasn't she picking up?
"Corinne! if you listen to this. Please call me back. I love you." I left her a voice message and ended the call once more.

I was feeling defeated and somewhat exhausted. With Meryl gone missing and Corinne pushing me away, I had nothing else to live for, honestly. These two were my lifeline. My everything.

Meryl, my sister, my rock, my family.
Corinne, the girl I loved so much without knowing the extent of it. I wanted both of them back.

I sat on the couch absent-minded, raking my hands through my hair making it more messy than it was already.

After a while, I knew I had to see her before I went insane. She was capable of doing that to me.
Trying to call her, I found it unreachable once again.

"Hey Leah!" I dialled Leah next.
"Yes Cameron?" I heard shuffling in the background and a groaning Dylan.
"Hey you could've called me....." I rolled my eyes.

"Leah......Corinne isn't picking up."
"What?"
"I tried to ring her so many times......now......I'm worried Leah."

There was silence on the other end.
"Cameron......I know she has been pushing all of us away for a while now. Just go to her house and sort this out okay? I need my friend back."

"Alright then."
"Bye."
"Bye."

That was the cue that I had needed. I was anxious at first whether to confront her or not but now if Leah thought it was time to get her to talk, I would do anything to know what was bothering her.

On my way, I dialled Mariano's office to see if she was there but she wasn't.

Parking my car in the lot, I walked up to her door and rang the bell. After a few more attempts, my mind began to think of possibilities of where she had gone but I was scared all the same. Was she at the orphanage then?

Knowing, I had to investigate before making assumptions, I called to check for her at the orphanage. My heart sank when they told me she hadn't been there after Christmas. At all.

She lied to me? Why?

Ringing a few more times, I decided it was time to go in there uninvited.
Call me a stalker or a creep, I had a spare key to her house made without her knowing it. I was the boyfriend here afterall.

Nothing seemed out of place when I walked through the house. But the silence was unnerving and her absence made the house look dull. She had the ability to brighten up everything with her presence.

Her room was well kept and clean and so was the entire house. But it looked like she had left quite a while ago.

Where was she?

*******

Corinne's POV:-

The sight of my dead step-mother's face made me open my eyes quickly. I wished I could forget what I had seen. I wished I could erase that image from the back of my mind. But even when darkness took over, the gruesome and horrifying vision was as clear as day.