Prologue

~Toni

"What you need is a boyfriend?" My best mate, Roxy, said. I looked up from my magazine and stared at her like she was crazy.

"Oh sorry, not all of us can just trip over and fall instantly into my mate's arms." I scoffed and put my magazine down. I got up and walked out of the room into the kitchen. Roxy and I may be best friends but we sure can get on each other's nerves.

Being part of the Shadow Pack didn't help our situation. Like a shadow, many people in our pack keep themselves to themselves, only mixing with certain people. In this pack, it is lucky to find your mate. I could say that Roxy was lucky because she tripped up while we were in a corridor at school and literally fell into her mate's arms. However, if I did say that it was luck, I would be lying. Roxy kind of threw herself at every boy she could in hope one would be her mate. She didn't even know that they would be in this pack. There are three main packs (the Regal Pack,the Sun & Moon Pack and the Shadow Pack) then many others. A mate could be in any of those packs. Joy. 

"Imagine if your mate was in the Regal Pack." Roxy was still rambling on.

"Listen to me! The chance of me finding my mate is slim. I don't want a boyfriend because knowing me I would then find my mate and hurt them. Let's just leave this."

"But if they were in the Regal Pack...."

"ROXY! If my mate was in the Regal Pack, I would never meet them. They are like the humans' royal family to us. What would one of them want with me?" I sighed.

"If you were their mate, they would want you. There's a chance for some of us to go to the Regal Pack to do that competition thingy they do every year. Josh has been chosen to go due to work, so as his mate, I am going. Come with us. Not to find your mate, just for the three of us to hang out. Like we first did at school."

"If I say yes, will you stop pestering me?" I started to pour myself a cup of tea.

"Of course!" She practically squealed in my ear.

"Fine. I will sign up to go with you." I sighed and took a sip of tea. What could possibly go wrong?