Chapter 39

~Max

Being held down to a hospital bed by doctors was probably not the best thing to do when I arrived at the hospital but it was for my own good. As soon as I has arrived, I had tried to get to Toni. Tried and failed. Nobody was allowed to visit her at the moment so I was being checked over by the doctors after my injuries. Thrashing around, though, didn't help them.

"Max! Stop alright, please." Lizzie was brought in by one of the doctors. Apart from Toni, Lizzie was the only person who could calm me down. Some joked it was our twin powers.

Taking a closer look at my sister, I grabbed her hand and held it. Her eyes were puffy and there was blood on her shirt, most probably from helping my mate. We were silent while the doctors looked me over. Before they left, one of the doctors turned around to me.

"We know you would normally have a private room Alpha but if the amount of patients we have, can we move some in here? They are practically family to you." I nodded and let the doctor leave. That was when Rich was brought in on a bed and Mia in a wheelchair. Mia was carrying Bailey which reminded me of the twins.

"Lizzie?" She turned back to me as she had gone over to her mate. "Where are the twins?"

"They are with Roxy and Ruby. The doctors were checking them over to make sure they are healthy. Oh Max they are amazing! " I smiled as she said that but then the smile faded.

"Did you hear anything from the battle?"

"No. Someone came to me and told me they needed my help with you so I just assumed you had taken the news about Toni bad. The girls said they would bring the pups around as soon as they were finished."

I looked down. How were people going to cope? How was I going to tell Ruby, Lizzie and mum about Jace? How was I going to tell Roxy about Josh. It broke my heart just to think about losing my mate so I could only imagine what Roxy will go through. That was when Rich turned to me.

"Hey, mate. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more service."

"Richard, in both fights against the rogues you have fought for me and got injured for my pack. I think you have served well."

"Yes, well. Now we can live the quiet life." Lizzie smiled softly. "Maybe follow in your footsteps bro and have pups."

As soon as Lizzie mentioned pups, Ruby and Roxy entered carrying two bundles. Ruby passed the tiny pink bundle to Lizzie and hugged me. I couldn't help but watch Roxy with the blue bundle, her look of admiration and loving. I felt sick thinking of what I had to tell her.

"Does anyone know where Josh is? i felt something through the mate bond, but now I can't feel him." Roxy looked up from my son with a pained expression. She had felt to the mate bond break and now he wasn't there. Roxy obviously didn't want to admit what had happened but she knew that she should be able to feel him through the bond. Even with Toni in a coma, I could feel her through the bond.

"Roxy, I don't know how to say this. Listen, sit down and give me my son." She passed the little bundle to me and I smiled as I saw Toni's big bright eyes staring up at me. I then turned back to Roxy. "Josh fought amazingly, one of the best out there. I could see cuts on him but he still fought one, ignoring the pain-"

"So he is here in the hospital?"

"Roxy, you know what it means when you can't feel a mate through the bond."  I couldn't look at her.

"He's a joker. He's put some kind of trickery on the bond. Masked himself so the bond isn't there."

Lizzie came and put a hand on Roxy's shoulder. "I don't think that is possible."