Chapter 10

I was up early the next day, excited to kick start the competition with a bang. Josh and I were doing the fight. Three other contestants would be doing the obstacle course and then all of us would be completing the race. I was fighting against the competitor from the Regal Pack and Josh was against the one from the Sun&Moon Pack. Josh and I had matching tracksuits to make it look better however I was wearing my usual fighting gear underneath.

Max wanted to wish me luck before the match so to stop him from meeting my parents, I met him in the woods near the cottage.

"I am in a horrible position, you know that right?" He sighed as he held my hand.

"How so?" I was confused.

"Well I don't want you to lose but at the same time, I do. I would feel absolutely awful for you if you lost but that would mean my pack were that little bit closer to winning. This is horrible."

"You know, I don't often lose."

"Yeah, but I have to hope and pray that my own pack wins. You had to get drawn against our fighter. A fighter who is actually one of my best friends. We grew up together and he was always round at mine or I was round at his."

"Does his face look pretty?" I smiled menacingly.

"Excuse me. You are supposed to be my mate. You can't go around asking-"

"Max, please just answer the question."

"I would say so, yes."

"Well, next time he is at yours or you're at his, his face won't be as pretty."

Looking at the time, I realised I had to go. Kissing Max goodbye, was horrible. I was going up against his pack, my future pack. This fight would secure what people would think of me in the future. They all knew me as Toni Hatfield, the amazing fighter. But did the Regal Pack expect me to fail because I would soon be one of them?

*******

I was standing on the sidelines as Josh prepared for his fight. The fight between the Regal Pack and Sun&Moon Pack was coming to a close and due to the lots that were drawn, his fight was next, mine last. I was actually glad that Josh was going first because nerves affected him more than me. If he saw me lose, he would freak out and lose too. His fight wouldn't lead to the outcome of mine. If he lost, I would still hopefully win. 

Taking off the tracksuit, Josh looked at me and all I saw was the eight year old that I first met, going up for his first match.

"Hey. You remind me of a little eight year old I once met. He was going in for his first fight and looked like his mother had just picked him up from a ballet class and his father had told him that he had to fight. He looked like he didn't have a clue what he was doing. So I am going to tell you what I told him. Chin up and get in that ring you idiot. If you lose, take it like a man. If you win, congratulate the other person and then go crazy when you are out of sight. But right now, you look like you are going to lose and take it from a fighter, you can't look like you are going to lose. People have now seen me giving you a talking to so please do good because it will reflect badly on me. Thanks."

Josh looked up and smiled. "I knew that eight year old and I am going to remind you of what the eight year old said to you. Shut up Toni Hatfield. You think you are a big thing but just wait until I get in the ring against you. I'm gonna send you crying to your mummy and daddy like the eight year old girl you are."

"Do you want to be fighting me instead of the wolf from the Sun&Moon Pack?"

"Nope. You will send me crying." Josh laughed.

Just then, his name was announced and he had to go to the fight. I hugged him, wished him luck and sat down on the sidelines to hopefully watch him win.

*******

~Max

Everyone around me was celebrating. We had just won the fight against the Sun&Moon Pack which meant our pack had gained the first point of the competition. My mother had a smile on her face yet she was trying to stay neutral. My father would've been on his feet celebrating too, even though he wasn't supposed to. That was my father, the rule breaker. He was watching the fights on the telly in his room. Ruby wasn't too bothered with the fighting so she was up there keeping him company.

None of the pack were watching the second fight of the day. I kept glancing at Toni but I never saw her look to me. She was engrossed in watching Josh fight. Josh had become a good friend to me so I was interested in his fight but was more interested in the my friend who had just won the fight before.

Suddenly, the crowd went silent. Josh was getting out of the ring, having just won his fight. Toni was talking with Josh and Roxy had joined them. Roxy had told me before that she worried about both Josh and Toni fighting, so I wasn't surprised that Roxy was all over Josh (making sure he was ok) and also panicking over Toni.

When Toni took off the tracksuit, I moved to the edge of my seat. She quickly tied up her hair and flashed a smile to me. My pack started screaming and shouting as Freddie (our pack's competitor) went up to Toni and shook hands. 

Freddie made the first move which Toni quickly dodged, kicking out her leg;making contact with Freddie's knee causing him to stumble. Half the spectators cheered Toni, half booed. I had agreed with Toni that I could support Freddie so I halfheartedly booed her as well. After many punches and kicks, Freddie looked like he had been assaulted outside a pub while Toni had a bit of hair out of place. All of a sudden, Freddie caused Toni to fall to the ground. We all cheered but I worried for my mate. Without warning, she wrapped her legs around Freddie's feet and flipped him over. She punched him in the head and knocked him out. Toni looked up and I saw that she had a cut running down her cheek. She didn't seem phased by it, definitely when half her pack joined her. I could see Roxy and Josh next to her, right in the midst of the celebration. Going into tomorrow's part of the competition, the Shadow Pack would be in the lead with two points, then our pack with one and the Sun&Moon Pack would be trailing with no points. I had the feeling that this competition could cause mine and Toni's first fight.