Chapter 29

~Toni

Following the water fight, things got serious again. Max and I spent a lot of time organising and planning things. He spent his days in the office, I spent my days watching over the pack warriors fighting. I would wake up in the morning in an empty bed and go to bed long before my mate came in. Max had finally agreed to me giving private training to Jace. He was actually a good fighter and in a couple of days he was with the beginner warriors that were the last resorts in fights. Jace was a little disappointed in this but he was officially a warrior which put a smile on his face. Soon, it was the last week of August and that meant my birthday.

Waking up, I groaned.

"Hey, missy, why are you groaning? It's your birthday!" Max smiled sitting on the end of the bed.

"I am groaning because one, I am another year older and two, I must be dreaming because you aren't working at..." I looked at the clock, "....eight in the morning."

"Oh ha ha very funny. I am not working today when it is your birthday. Today is your day so I am giving you a breakfast in bed." He smiled.

I grabbed a strawberry and slowly ate it. Enjoying the food, I started eating more. However I suddenly felt nauseous. I quickly ran into the bathroom and leaned over the toilet. Max came in and held my hair out of my face as I threw up. Sitting back against the bath, I put my hands in my face.

"What a great start to my birthday!" I laughed.

"Is it the food?" Max asked.

"No, I think I have a bug. I'm just gonna lay in bed for a bit and see if this washes over."

Max nodded and picked me up, placing me on the bed. He kissed the top of my head and then went to leave.

"Max," he turned back, "can you send Mia and my mum in please?"

Thankfully, he didn't question this and went out the room. My mum always helped me when I was ill but I needed Mia because I thought I was- No! I couldn't be. Could I? 

When mum came in, she took one look at me and then sighed. She sat on the bed and combed through my hair with my fingers. At first, I couldn't look at Mia. She must have been confused at why I asked her here.

"How are you feeling, darling?" Mum asked.

"Better." I nodded. I then looked at Mia. "You must be thinking why I asked you in here?"

"I think I know. I have some that I normally keep in a cabinet, do you want me to get one?" Mia asked. I knew exactly what she was asking so I nodded, leading to Mia leaving me alone with my mum.

"Sweetheart, I am confused. What is Mia getting you?"

"Mum, I think I am pregnant." Mum was shocked at first but then pulled me into a hug.

"I'm going to be a grandma!" 

"Jeez, woman. You are squishing me." She let go of me. "Anyway, I don't even know if I am yet."

That was when Mia came in. I went into the bathroom and took the test. I couldn't go back in the room until I knew so I just sat in the bathroom, watching the time tick by. Suddenly, it was time. I turned it over and looked at the result.

Walking into the room, I looked at Mia. "I'm so sorry Mia. You wanted me to babysit but I might have my hands full with a pup of my own."

Mum and Mia squealed and hugged me. I sat on the bed in shock. I was going to be a mum. One of the best presents I had received on my birthday. After the news had settled in, I took a shower and put on some shorts and a Queen band shirt. Slipping on my Converse, I looked to my mum.

"What if Max doesn't want this? What if he isn't ready to be a dad with everything that is happening with the pack? Am I even ready to be a mum?"

"Any pup would be lucky to have you two as its parents."

"I have to tell Max don't I?"

"Sweetie, it would be very hard hide it from him." She nodded and gave my a hair bobble.

I threw my hair into a ponytail and then walked downstairs. The kitchen was filled with presents along with my family and friends. I smiled at everyone and then saw Max. 

"Are you sure you're fine? I know it's your birthday but nobody will judge if you want to spend the day in bed."

"Max, I am fine. But I need to talk to you before all the celebrations. Can we go to your office?" I asked. He nodded to me and then followed me out.

When we got in the office, I shut the door behind us before sighing and turning to Max. He had a worried expression. I sat down and looked to him, silently telling him to sit down.

"Toni, you are worrying me." he sighed.

I looked at him and felt like crying. What if he din't accept this? "Max, I really don't know how to say this."

"What is it?"

"Max, are you ready to be a dad?" I asked looking at the floor.

"I don't know if I would start a family while this war was brewing. Why? Do you want to be a mum? Are you ready to be a parent?"

I stood up and raked my hand through my hair. He didn't take the hint. But what he said was true. There was a war brewing. Did we really want to raise a pup in that situation? 

"Max, I wasn't asking if you were ready and wanted a family." I sighed and looked at the floor. "I was asking if you were ready because I am pregnant."

Max was silent for a while. I couldn't look at his face. He must have been sad. Disappointed? Suddenly, Max was hugging me. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist.

"Are you happy?" I smiled down at him.

"I am a little worried but this is us. We did this and I couldn't be more thrilled." He smiled back at me and kissed me. 

He placed me down and I kissed him passionately. He pulled away which made me frown.

"We have to go back to the guys now." He told me.

"Do we have to?" I pouted.

"Yes, they want to see the birthday girl." He chuckled.

"Fine. But lets not tell anybody yet. Mum and Mia know but tomorrow lets tell who needs to know like close family. We don't want to jinx this." I then looked down at my stomach and placed one hand over it. "We don't want the rogue leader to find out."