Chapter 21

~Toni

The day of the funeral arrived and everyone in the pack could feel the sadness and grief the day brought. When I had gone out with the girls, we had picked out what we were going to wear. Mine was a simple black dress with a dipped hem and there was a small gold belt to go around my waist. Roxy had forced me to buy some black heels, much to my complaints, and a small clutch bag to hold tissues and my phone. Looking at myself in the mirror, I couldn't recognise the person reflected. My hair was loose and straightened and I had some subtle makeup on. I looked like a girl but I actually liked it.

Lizzie and Ruby were also in my room wearing similar outfits. The three of us didn't want to go too fancy like some people do. Lizzie and Ruby said that it was best if we just blended in with the mourners so attention wasn't drawn to them being Thomas' children and me being the soon to be Luna.

As someone knocked on my door, Ruby jumped up and answered it. Looking up, I saw my dad in a suit. He had arrived with Alpha Caleb late last night as something happened at the pack (which they hadn't told me about) so I hadn't seen them since leaving the pack. Not saying anything, I walked into my dad's open arms.

"Is this really my girl?" He chuckled, ruffling my hair.

"Hey, watch the hair dad." I said, causing him to laugh more.

I let him in my room as he said hello to the girls. My friends decided to leave me and my dad so we could have some privacy, telling me they would meet me downstairs. As a family, they were greeting the mourners and Max had told me he wanted to do that part on his own, reassuring me that he wasn't pushing me away. The last time I had been to a funeral, I had been fourteen. It was actually my first funeral and it was for my grandma. Seeing my dad in that state, scared me as a teenager. He had lost his mum. Dad and I were really close and we helped each other through the day. Now there I was, five years on, at my second funeral, going to be helping my mate through his dad's funeral.

"How are you feeling?" My dad asked as we sat on my bed, dad holding my hand.

"Overwhelmed. Dad, I am going to be a Luna. Me, a Luna. All these emotions are going through my head. Excitement. Nervousness. Happiness. Then this funeral. It reminds me of what we went though with Grandma. I helped you out and now I am helping Max out. It is just so overwhelming." I fell onto my dad and hugged him. He just held me there, soothing me.

"If you ever need me, I will always be there for you. I know you have always hated me saying this but as my only girl and my youngest, I feel more protective over you. You have grown up so fast and have matured into a beautiful wolf however you are still young. I can't help but still imagine the little five year old that would ride on my back while I was in wolf form, thinking she was the female version of Mowgli in Jungle Book-"

"Dad," I growled "we agreed to never talk about that."

He laughed. "I still imagine my pup. I can't help but still remind you of my beautiful young pup, not my beautiful young wolf. Now, as much as I want to just sit here with you, I am not the male you need to be with tonight."

Sighing, I stood up and brushed my dress out in the mirror, making sure there were no creases before moving on to making sure my hair was all in place.

"Do I look fine?" I asked my dad.

"You look amazing."

"Thanks dad." I smiled before heading downstairs.

When I got downstairs, I found the girls straight away. They were talking to the person who I recognised to be the Alpha of the Sun&Moon Pack. Walking up to them, the Alpha brought hi head up. He nodded to me in respect and then said goodbye to the girls.