Chapter 20

~Toni

That morning, I decided to have breakfast with Ruby and Lizzie, my girls minus Roxy. Lizzie kept staring at me after she had seen Max and me together. We had decided to move from my room at about eleven so she had her suspicions. Especially since we had arranged our girls' day the day before when I was talking with Ruby and we were meeting in the kitchen at half ten.  I literally had to force the girls to believe nothing happened. Max was in the office with the beta and his mum, discussing things. One of the first things was the funeral which was occurring in two days time. Everybody around here was on edge, still mourning their loss. I needed to phone my mum sometime soon, knowing she would be worrying about her youngest pup. It was then when Jace came in.

"Sorry to interrupt ladies but something can in the post for Toni." He smiled handing me a letter. Looking at the handwriting, I recognised it as my brother's, Ricky.

Hey little sis,

I know this must be hard on you, supporting your mate, so I thought I would bring you some happy news. We found out just after you left that Mia is expecting. I'M GOING TO BE A DAD! Mia is worried about the wedding, saying you two chose the perfect dress (any hints?). She is scared that she won't be able to fit in the dress. We were thinking about bringing the wedding forward to next month but we aren't sure. Mia also wanted to remind you that even though you are going to be a Luna, you (as my most responsible sibling and her being an only child) will be our go to babysitter. Anyway, please get in contact with us whenever you want. Mum is worried sick about her pup being in a totally different pack so even if you don't want to, just phone her. Hope you are having fun anyway.

Love you,

Your big brother, Ricky. x

I was smiling so much. My big brother was going to be a dad. I was going to be an auntie. The girls noticed me smiling and sent me quizzical looks.

"Ricky and Mia are going to be parents." I squealed looking at them.

"Oh my god, Toni! Soon to be Luna and Auntie." Lizzie laughed.

"You couldn't have had better news. Especially with you helping Max right now." Ruby smiled.

"I'm gonna go phone my folks back home." I said to the girls, who nodded.

Walking into the hall, I dialled home but it went straight to voicemail. Frowning, I tried again ad nobody answered.

"Hey mum, dad. I was just checking on you guys but you must be having fun. Anyway, give my love to Mia and Ricky oh and tell Alec I miss his annoying attitude. Things are fine here, don't worry about me. Love you, talk to you later."

After leaving the voicemail, I walked back into the kitchen. The girls were still on the same bar stools around the breakfast bar but someone was seated in mine. the girl was in a pink dress with her brown hair pinned up. As she turned around, I squealed with excitement, realising who it was.

"Roxy! What are you doing here?" I said as I hugged her.

"A certain someone stole your phone and contacted me saying you were having a day out with the girls. I had to come. But it looks like you aren't coming." She laughed looking at my clothes. I was still in the shorts and top from last night.

Sprinting upstairs, I went into my room to get dressed. I threw on some jeans and a top but then looked around for a jacket. I couldn't find mine and the girls were getting restless downstairs. Throwing on my Nike trainers, I went into Max's room, grabbed one of his hoodies and then headed downstairs. As I walked along the hallway, I put the hoodie over my head, taking in Max's scent, before rolling the sleeves up to my elbows. Walking up to the girls, Ruby and Lizzie smirked as they recognised their brother's item of clothing. Roxy took one sniff and looked at me.

"Thief." She laughed. 

Just then, Max came out heading to the kitchen. Noticing us in the hallway, he smiled at us.

"Have a good day girls." He then saw what I was wearing. "Didn't I give you a jacket when you left to go home?"

I looked at him innocently, "I left it at home so you know, because you love me....."

"It tells other people who's mate you are and the oversized look is cute on you."

"Just because I am small, doesn't mean you can make fun of me." I pouted.

"Come on, Toni. We have to go." Lizzie tugged on my arm. Casting one more glance back at my smirking mate, I left with the girls.

We spent the day in and around the pack. Roxy got very excited when she got to the shopping centre. She had bought half the stores when we were here last time and she bought the other half that day. At around four, Roxy had to go and I headed back with Ruby and Lizzie. Before we got back to the pack house, the duo took me into the forest.

"We kind of were distracting you today." Ruby looked at me apologetically.

"Max wanted us to spend the day with you so you weren't lonely while he was sorting things out this morning but this afternoon he was free. But he wanted to surprise you. He realised that he hadn't taken you on a date before you left and before dad died he could only talk about what he wanted to do for you to make it special. Tomorrow, Alphas and Betas will be arriving for the funeral the day after. Max wanted to do this before things got emotional and hectic. Don't get me wrong, we loved today and we need to do this every so often but I think that you will like this even better." Lizzie finished talking to me and then pointed to a tree house that was in the middle of the forest.

Climbing up the ladder, I could hear music softly playing from above me. Entering the house, I saw a picnic basket next to a rose. Around the ceiling, fairy lights hung and lit the tree house. I could smell my mate but couldn't see him. Suddenly, I felt hands wrap around my waist.

"Do you like it?" Max whispered in my ear.

"I...I don't know what to say." I said. It was lovely.

Max pointed for me to sit down on a rug laid on the floor before he sat down across from me. He gave me a plate and on it was some steak and chips, my favourite meal. He poured me a glass of wine before getting out a matching meal to me. I wondered if Roxy was here to give information as well as hanging out. I hadn't told him that roses were my favourite flowers or about my favourite meal. After we had finished the meal, he pulled me up and started dancing with me. It was so sweet and I didn't stop smiling once. 

"I built this tree house with my dad when I was little.  Jace and the girls have a tree house each too. This place has always been my special place but now it will be ours. Ours and ours only." Max hugged me.

"Max, I want to say something." He looked down at me, expectantly. "The next few days will be hard on you but I am here. Don't push me away. Hearing Jace tell me that you didn't want to look weak broke my heart. But if you need anything come to me, we can come here and just talk. Our special place, I like the sound of that but there is only one problem with that." I got a confused look from my mate, "This place won't always be our special place. There will come a time, when we are down on that forest floor watching some little pups running around up here." I smiled.

"Really?" Max asked.

"Of course. You are my forever."

Max picked me up, kissed me and then spun me around. 

"However, those pups up here will have to wait a long time. My dad will kill us if we have pups soon." I laughed and so did Max.