Chapter 24

~Max

Watching the girls run off was hard but I had to think of my pack. My pack. Wow that sounded weird. My wolf sprinted off into the wood to where the rogues were attacking. Why did it have to be then? Toni and I were enjoying ourselves and then rogues had to come and ruin it.

"Alpha, we have men down. Are you nearly here?" My beta, Adam, mind linked me.

"Nearly. How many rogues are there?"

"Around twenty."

"TWENTY! How have we not defeated them? We outnumber them."

"They are strong."

We broke out into the clearing and could finally see the destruction. My wolves were fighting hard but I could see around five on the floor injured. Jace automatically started helping to move the injured out from the fight. Some had been forced to shift back due to the pain. Suddenly, a rogue clawed at my face. My wolf growled and immediately bit down on the wolf's neck, killing him. 

I joined the fight along with Rich. I lost sight of Jace but knew he would stay out of the way. He had only recently shifted so he didn't know how to fight. Rich jumped onto a rogue and while we had his back turned, a rogue crawled towards him. I jumped over my sister's mate and growled at the rogue. What sort of person attacks someone when they have their back turned? My wolf easily took out the rogue I was fighting and then turned to Rich to see him panting over a dead rogue. Looking around, I saw most of the rogues lying dead, some still in wolf form, some not. I noticed that some had been caught and my wolf snarled at them. All of a sudden, my wolf whimpered. He was hurt. The adrenaline had forced me to carry on through the pain. I shifted back and others followed suit. Jace handed me some clothes and then looked at me.

"Max, Toni is going to kill you." He laughed.

"Why?"

"You didn't even take any pictures today together and you now have a deep cut running from your eye to your lips. It also looks like you have broken your arm. That must have been from the first rogue that attacked you. Those will take at least a day to heal."

"Great." I sighed. "How many do we have down?"

"One dead, seven injured and one of those is Richard." Jace looked down.

"I'm going to kill the rogues."

"Well we have five going down to the dungeons and the rest are dead." Adam came up to me and shook my hands. "You were a good Alpha today. Your dad would be proud."

"Thanks, Adam. Now lets go and let the women out of the bunker. I ,for one, know I will have an angry mate waiting for me."

"Can we leave them down there for a bit?" One of the guards shouted.

"If only we could." I laughed.   

As we walked back, we walked in silence. The rogues must have had reason to attack. Did they know what today was? Did they plan the attack to ruin the Alpha and Luna ceremony? I could only hope that it was a coincidence and another attack wouldn't be happening. 

As I got to the clearing where the ceremony took place, I quickly ran to a piece of glass to inspect the cut. When Jace said it was deep, he hadn't been kidding. Even with it being a while since I received the cut and my healing powers had started, it was still one of the deepest cuts one any of the people who had fought today.

As a guard got to the bunker, I nodded to him. "It is safe for them to come out."

********

~Toni