Chapter 19

~Toni

Panting, my wolf looked behind her for any sign of her mate. When we had shifted, my wolf had got excited due to getting a run and being with her mate. Immediately, she had taken off, knowing Max's wolf would come too; wanting him to chase her. Suddenly, out of the forest treeline, came a brown wolf with a black front left paw. Max's paw was cute. He was cute. His wolf quickly jumped on mine, causing her to fall onto her back. They started to play fight, nipping at each other but making sure they didn't cause any harm to the other. My wolf looked at her mate before stepping forward and licking his coat. 

We stayed in wolf form for a while, playing and running. When we decided it was time to go, we ran into the forest to where clothes were hidden so people could change after a shift. I had some cute white shorts with a black vest top. Max came out just dressed in some shorts. Seeing his six pack, I gasped, not really knowing what I expected.

"Like what you see?" He asked, smirking.

"Oh shut up." I laughed hitting his shoulder. 

Suddenly, he picked me up and had me hanging over his shoulder.

"Max, put me down." I whined.

He lifted me off his shoulder but had my legs wrapped around his waist. With my fingers, I brushed his hair and then rested my head on his shoulder. The sun had set and I was getting tired. My wolf had tired me out.

"Is somebody tired?" Max asked. I just nodded against his neck, causing him to laugh. 

He carried me to the edge of the forest but then put me down so people didn't stare at us. I couldn't stop smiling as we walked to the house hand in hand. Members of the pack just looked on as we walked past, recognising us as the soon to be Alpha and Luna. As we came in, Lizzie and Richard were coming out.

"It's good to see you out Lizzie." Max smiled, hugging his twin. I shook hands with Richard as we watched our mates together. 

The twins kept in the embrace for a while before Lizzie broke off. Lizzie then sadly looked up to me and pulled me into a hug. We didn't stay as long and then I watched as my friend grabbed her coat.

"Where are you going?" Max looked confused.

"For a walk." Rich said putting his hand around Lizzie's shoulder, who leaned into him. I smiled at the couple as they walked out.

As we were in the safety of the house, Max scooped me up in his arms again.

"I can walk on my own you know." I sighed leaning my head onto his chest. I hated being small.

"I just like you close and I can tell you like it too." He laughed, his chest rumbling under my head.

He carried me up the stairs and then went into my room. Putting me in my bed, he kissed my forehead.

"Stay with me, Max. Just for a bit." I mumbled as I laid my head on the pillow. 

As he pulled the cover over my shoulders, he sighed and laid next to me on top of the covers.

"Have I told you I loved you?" I smiled.

"Yes, I think you have." He smiled back.

"Well, I love you. Now you know."

"I love you too."

We laid there for a while, talking about anything and everything. I felt my eyes getting heavy and Max kept willing me to sleep, so that's what I did.

******

~Max

Watching Toni's chest rise and fall, I realised she had fallen asleep. She was beautiful and I was thankful that she was mine. I moved her hair from in front of her face. Just as I moved to get off the bed, her arm moved to go across my waist. Slowly, I tried to move but couldn't without disturbing her. Grabbing my phone, I decided to play a game, trying to wait out and see if she moved her hand. She didn't. 

Sensing the sun coming through the curtains, I woke up. At first, I couldn't figure out where I was as I wasn't in my own room. However, I turned over and saw my mate's sleeping figure. Knowing nobody would walk in, I sighed with relief. Realising that if anyone came in, they would think the worst. Reaching to the bottom of the bed, I grabbed the throw Toni kept there. Sleeping on top of the covers, made me cold. The rustling seemed to wake up my mate as I saw her eyes meet mine in shock.

"Nothing happened last night, did it?" She gasped, sitting upright.

"No." I laughed. "You are just clingy and I couldn't leave."

"Sorry." She mumbled, blushing.

I reached forward, cupping her chin and forced her to look at me. "You have nothing to be sorry about. I love you." 

She lifted her head before settling it on my chest. I slowly wrapped my arms around her and sighed. This was just what I wanted. She was all I wanted.