Veronica

September 20th, 2016
1:50 am
Oakland, California

It all happened so fast.

The rain continued to pour as I sat in the ambulance getting checked out by the paramedics. But I didn't really care about what the bruises and cuts that I gotten, I was more worried about my sister. No one was telling me anything which worried me even more. I looked out into the crowd and saw so many cops and injured people, that it was hard to tell whether or not if there was going to be good news or bad news.

"Ms. Quinn?"

I snapped out of it and looked up when a cop walked up to the ambulance where I was.

"You are Ms. Quinn aren't you?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yea that's me."

"My name is Detective Ryan and I want you to tell me what exactly happened here tonight." Detective Ryan demanded.

"Um..." I hesitated because it was all too blurry for me to recall. Everything just happened so fast that there was no telling what went wrong.

"Ms. Quinn?" Detective Ryan called out.

I didn't realize that I zoned out again. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I understand that this is all traumatic for you right now, but I need to take your statement." Detective Ryan explained. "Can you try telling me what happened?"

"Lola and I were going back home from this party, a friend of ours was throwing. We didn't have money for a cab to take us home, so I told Lola I'd drive because she had more drinks than me. We were on the bridge when we both started arguing and..." I began to cry.

"Go on." Detective Ryan said.

"...we began to fight in the car and the next thing I knew the car flipped over and we both were pinned under the car." I said.

"What happened next?" Detective Ryan asked.

"I don't know." I said. "Everything happened so fast."

"Ok, thank you for your time." Detective Ryan said as started to walk away.

"Wait." I called out.

Detective Ryan stopped in his tracks and turned to face me.

"Is my sister ok? What happened?" I asked.

"I'm sorry but the paramedics did everything they could to try and save her." Detective Ryan said.

"What are you saying?" I questioned.

"I'm sorry Ms. Quinn, but your sister is dead." Detective Ryan walked away.

My heart dropped. I couldn't believe that this was happening. I dropped to the cold ground letting the rain soak my clothes and hair as tears streamed down my face. My whole body felt numb and I couldn't bring myself to move. Lola...

Lola is dead.

My twin sister is dead.