11

11. The Ex

Dave East

I woke up this morning feeling as if there was a missing piece to me. I still couldn't believe that Tristan was dead. One of my best friends/brothers was dead. I rolled over in my bed to see that Veronica was there. I didn't expect her to stay the night, but I also wasn't expecting Tristan to die either. I sat up on my bed and grabbed my secret stash that was in my nightstand. I began to roll up a blunt when I felt Veronica turn in the bed. But I continued to roll up, which took me a few seconds to do. I grabbed a lighter and sparked up the blunt putting it to my lips. I took one puff and already I felt reality slipping away. This is just what I needed.

"What are you doing?"

I looked over and saw Veronica with her raised eyebrow.

"What's it look like? I'm smoking." I said.

"But it's so early in the morning." Veronica said.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't care. I gotta a lot on my mind right now, so if you're gonna complain get the fuck out."

Veronica said nothing to me and just sat up in the bed. Next thing I knew, she took the blunt from and took two puffs before handing it back to me. I was so shocked and confused that I didn't know what to think.

"I didn't know you was down like that." I said.

"Oh please. I've done plenty of other things that you'd probably judge me for or be down with." Veronica explained.

I was interested. "Like what?"

"Never mind." Veronica said. "How are you doing?"

I sighed. "I don't know."
"I'm still pretty shocked."

"I mean who wouldn't be. Dave, one of your best friends just died." Veronica reminded me. "What are you going to do?"

I didn't know if I should tell Veronica my real plan for Johnnie because she might be scared of me. But then again, we just got to a point where there would be no secrets between us. I looked over at Veronica who was still waiting for an answer, I didn't even realize that I was quiet for so long.

"Maybe I'll have a funeral for him. I don't know." Dave said.

"Well whatever you decide to do, just know I'll be here for you." Veronica said taking the blunt from me again and took another two puffs.

I watched Veronica take the puffs and couldn't help admire how beautiful her lips were wrapped around it. God damn, she was beautiful! It was going to be really hard to not be with her and not be with her. But in all honesty, that was the least of my many complicated problems.

Lottie Adams

Bash and I were in my bed watching tv when there was a knock at the door. Bash started barking and ran downstairs. I got out of bed following him and went to answer the door. I opened the door and couldn't believe who was standing there. After all this time, he decided to show up after doing what he did to Roni.

"Hey Lottie."

"Johnnie, what the fuck are you doing here?" I asked.

"I was in the neighborhood and I wanted to come see you guys. To see how you were doing." Johnnie said.

I sighed. "Well Roni is not here and the last time I checked, you were no longer welcomed here."