25

25. For Protection

Roni Quinn

I woke up feeling different and not because Dave and I made up, which we did. It was different because Bash one of my best friends is dead. I know Liya had something to do with it and with what Dave told me about her and all of the crazy shit she did in the past I'm not surprised. I don't know what or how to feel right now, but I'm sure eventually I'll get over it. With Dave and I, there's still a lot that I don't know about him and I know he'll have secrets of his own but I hope eventually he'll be able to open up and trust me enough to tell me everything when he's ready.

I opened my eyes and saw that Dave wasn't there. I was confused and got out of bed. I went downstairs and looked around the house and there was no one here. Not Lottie. Not Dave. I didn't even know what was going on. I went back upstairs and then that's when my phone vibrated. It was from Dave.

Srry I'm not there 2 see ur beautiful face. But meet me @ Hollow Groves in 20. Love you. - Babe ( 9:50 am )

I rolled my eyes and went to take a shower. Once I was finally awake, I got out of the shower and put on some clothes. I put on some black running shorts, a white short sleeve shirt, and a pair of converse sneakers. I put my hair in a ponytail and grabbed my phone and keys and got into my car driving off to Hollow Groves. I don't know what Dave was up to but whatever it was I hope it wasn't crazy.

***

I pulled up to Hollow Groves and Dave was standing there all swagged out waiting for me. I parked the car, locked it, before walking up to Dave. I didn't know what was going on, but it was making my heart pound.

"Hey gorgeous." Dave said.

I smiled. "Hey."
"What are we doing here?"

"Honestly, a lot has happened in the couple of months and when your dog died, I thought it was time." Dave said.

"Time for what?" I questioned.

Dave said nothing and just took my hand. We began to walk into the Hollow Grove woods for about ten minutes before stopped. Dave was being very secretive and mysterious more than usual and I was getting worried. Before I got the chance to say anything, Dave had pulled out a gun. My eyes widen out of panic and I was about to freak the fuck out.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm gonna teach you how to shoot... for protection." Dave said.

"Isn't that what you're for?" I said.

"Veronica, I can't be with you all the time to protect you. I need you to learn so in case a bitch ass nigga get up in your face and won't back down, you gotta show'em whose boss." Dave explained. "Plus it will give me peace of mind, that you'll be safe when I'm not around."

"Dave I can't." I said.

"Just try this one time and if you still don't want to, then I won't ask again." Dave said.

I sighed and nodded. Dave put the gun into my hand and it was much heavier than I thought it would be. Dave got behind me and showed me the basics of holding the gun. My heart was beating so fast to the point where I could hear it through my ears. Dave knew that I was nervous somehow because he was really close to me giving me the comfort that I needed to be brave enough to shoot the gun. I just hope nothing goes wrong.