Rollercoaster

Williams  smirked at Drew then was asked to step down from the stand so Missy could go up.

"Missy, where were you at the night of the party?" Williams questioned

"I wasn't there. I was home. I didn't really want Naji going either."

"Why is that?" 

" I know how Drew is and how his parties steady getting outta' hand so something was bound to happen"

" So when Naji called you knew something went wrong?"

" Yeah, I knew Drew wanted her but I didn't think he would stoop that low. Drew always get what he wants somehow" Missy shook her head and sighed

" So, after she called what did you do?"

" I went over to the house to get her but when I saw Drew I just got so angry, I jumped on him."

" How did he respond to you jumping on him?"

" Well I was screaming that he was a rapist then he yelled back that Naji wanted it." 

The crowd gasped and whispers were heard all in the courtroom.

" Thankyou so much, Miss Norford you may step down."

The judge spoke " okay we will take a short recess so the jury can deliberate."

With that everyone seemed to be getting up and exiting the courtroom.

My parents, Missy, and her Dad were already outside the courtroom waiting for me.

when I walked over to them they were all looking at me weird, my mama was motioning for me to turn around.

I turned around to see Jacquees sitting on the bench withhis head in his hands.

I walked over to him, anger as hell getting ready to yell at him but when he looked up at me with tears in his eyes, I couldn't find it in me to be mad anymore.

"Que. What happened?" 

" Broderick is dead Naji... They killed him" He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him.

 Broderick was one of our closest friends growing up, he just got out of jail and now this.

" When ? What the hell happened?" 

" The day I was supposed to leave his mama called me crying saying Broderick got shot." 

I bent down and wiped Que's face. I haven't seen him cry since we were nine at my daddy's funeral.

" He got popped in Lincoln Park, in broad daylight Naji!?!" 

" Why didn't you call or text me back. I needed you and you obviously needed me. "

"Baby, i'm sorry i turned my phone off all day yesterday. I ain't get your message till this morning. I'm sorry I broke my promise"

Que pulled my face towards his and lightly kissed me on the lips.

" I'm here now."

" Thank you for coming Que. They're just about to say if he's guilty or not."

Que and I were talking when Aaron walked up to us.

" Uh, Naji can I speak with you?"

 I looked at Que and he nodded for me to go.

" So what's up A?" 

He looked behind to Que.

" That's him? That's Jacquees?"

" Yeah" I smiled

" I finally see ya'll together, you used to talk about him so much dawg." 

I chuckled remembering all the times I would talk about him endlessly.

" Okay Naji, on the real... I'm sorry. I should've believed you sooner."

" It's all good now, I forgive you."

Aaron pulled me into a hug " Thank you so much"

"I have a question? What's gonna happen to Drew?"

" He took the plea deal so he'll only get like two and a half years with probation."

Aaron and I talke for a little more until I convinced him to go talk to Missy and her Dad.

I hope that goes well...

*

*

Williams called us back into the courtroom to hear the verdict.

" Okay everyone be seated" The judge called out then she instructed for Drew and his lawyer to remain standing,

" Juror number seven read the charges"

A woman stood up " In the case of Drew Calloway v. Isabel Garcia and Naji Taylor with one count of first degree rape. One count of statutory rape in the third degree, and one one count of Perjury."

"  How do you find the defendant?" 

" Guilty. On all charges." 

after the verdict, there was a mix of emotions throughout the room. I was sad but at the same time I feel like I'm getting the closure and justice I finally needed.

I can move on now, and start a whole new chapter with Que and my family.