•Chapter sixteen•

My fingers traced along my belly button ring under my shirt. Mum was seated with me on the couch as we both dig into our ice cream.

Very unhealthy, I know. But mum insisted, and I couldn't turn down that offer.

"I honestly can't believe you snapped at Mrs.Rider."

"I didn't snap at her, I just... put some common sense in her." I say taking a mouthful of vanilla ice cream.

"That could have been a big mistake." I added.
Maybe I shouldn't have yelled at her, I mean, I need to keep my job.
We now have enough money to actually get ice cream while paying the bills!

The doorbell sounded through the house.
I roll up my sleeves of my black jumper and got up from the couch, walking towards the door.

I expected to see Amy's smiling face with a new purple outfit, but instead, was the famous Eugene Rider.

"Ah.." I look at him stunned. How did he know where I lived?

"It's not hard for me to find you, Edythe, I'm a millionaire." He smirks.

"Okay, captain obvious." I roll my eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I just- Hello Mrs Hayes." Eugene pushes passed me to shake hands with my mum.

Just because he is a millionaire famous stuck up prick, doesn't mean he can just walk into our house! I glared at the back of his head. Why am I so angry?

"Oh hello! Oh, just call me Gemma." She says smiling at him.

He smiles and turns back to me.
Mum behind him mouths 'he's hot.'

Typical Ma.

"What are you doing in my house?" I repeat crossing my arms over my chest.

"Well I heard that you had a... little discussion... with my mother." He says.

My eyes widened. "I'm sorry, I just- she was- I had to say something!"

"And I wanted to say thank you." He finished.

"What?" Okay now I'm confused.

"She's stopped making me go to blind dates. And she's taken some of the paper work off me too. My mother is sorry, Edythe." He explains.

Wow, so it did work.

"That's great, of thank god, I thought she'd be even more angry with me." I breathe sitting on the kitchen bench.

"Are you single?" Mum interrupted.

I glare at her.

"Ah, yes mam- Gemma." He stutters.

Then mum smirks and winks at me doing the little you-should-date-him look.

"Ma, please comb your hair or something." I glare.

She winks one last time before rushing upstairs.

"Sorry, she can be a little straight-forward sometimes." I admit.

"Like mother like daughter." He smiles.

At least his not acting like an asshole anymore.

"Is there another reason why your here?" I say.

"Why do you want to to leave so bad, Gee I feel welcomed." He says sarcastically.

I don't say anything, instead my mind think back to everything that had happened. I though we were ignoring each other, after the kiss. Now he's acting like nothing happened, because it was nothing. I was nothing to him. Maybe that's why I couldn't be happy when I saw him.

"Are you okay?"

No.

"I'm fine. I'm tired." I say leaving the kitchen and picking up the ice cream that was still on the couch.

I felt a warm body close behind me.
Shivers filled up my spine. Probably from the ice cream.

"Edythe your not fine." He turns me around gently and takes the ice cream from my hands.

"Is it about the kiss?"

Of course it is you nuthead.

"I guess we need to talk then." He sighs and sits down on the kitchen chair.

I bite into my lip and sit on the edge of the couch.

"Okay first of all, stop biting you lip, it's making me crazy." He says quickly. I take my teeth off my lip. I can make him crazy.

"You make me go crazy in many ways." He continues, very nervously fiddling with his hands.
"And one of them is when I kissed you. I shouldn't have said what I said. I didn't mean it. I knew you didn't like me, but now you think I'm a complete jerk."

That's true, he was a jerk.
"Why did you kiss me?" I say.

"I liked you."

I guess you can say there's some pros and cons to that. Liked. Past tense. Of course, he moves on. I expected this. It hurt, because I hate to admit I but I like him too.
I guess it was all wrong timing.

"I liked you, then. But now, I'm falling for you." His eyes burn into mine.

My heart speeds up, what? He's falling in love with me? Does he even know what love is?

I tried to say something, anything, but I couldn't master up the words to say.

"And I don't expect you to like me back, or anything. I just wanted you to know."

I knew at that moment I should have stood up and kissed him. Or stopped him from walking out the door. But I couldn't move.

So before I knew it he was gone from my sight.

Me? Me? Out of all girls. Out of all the stupid fish in the sea. I was mad at myself for telling him how I feel. Maybe I'm not ready.

Or maybe I'm falling for him too.