Chapter 3

The end of school came quickly, and after we were finally dismissed from our last class, I met up with Zach near my car. He had a thoughtful expression on his face as he stared up at the sky.

"Ready?" I asked, coming to stand in front of him. He dragged his attention away from the sky and nodded with a small smile before climbing into my car.

I got into the driver's seat and pulled out of the school parking lot, starting the journey home.

Zach fiddled with the radio before stopping on a specific station. Music began blasting through my speakers, filling the car with a familiar sound.

"I love this song." I grinned.

"I know." His voice was so quiet, I wasn't sure if I heard him properly, but when I asked him to repeat himself, he just smiled and shook his head.

A couple minutes later, I was pulling up into my driveway.

"My auntie and uncle are both at work, so won't be home for a few hours," I said, hoping to ease his worries, I could see how nervous he was getting.

He visibly calmed down at my words, and we both made our way inside.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked as I made my way to the kitchen.

"Sure."

I grabbed two cans of coke from the fridge, before turning around to face him.

"Coke, okay?" He chucked, nodding his head.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh, nothing." He snickered, taking the can from me, popping the tab and taking a swig as I did the same.

"Taste the chemical burn," we both said at the same time. I found myself-once again-staring at him in shock as he cracked up laughing. I can't believe he knew that reference.

"We're so alike," I teased.

Once his laughter had settled down, he looked up at me, his eyes bright silver.

I swallowed down the lump in my throat, forcing myself to look away.

"So, uh, Mario Kart?" We headed into the living room and I set up the Wii. We ended up playing for hours, turns out Zach was very good at the game, almost as good as me.

Before I knew it, I heard a car pull up into the driveway and Zach visibly tensed beside me.

"It'll be fine." I tried to reassure him, but it didn't seem to work.

The door opened, and my aunt and uncle both walked in at the same time, seemingly lost in a conversation they were having.

"Hey guys! How was work?" Their beaming gazes turned towards us, but their smiles were quickly wiped from their faces as they stared at Zach like they'd just seen a ghost.

"Uh... guys this is Zach," I said, awkwardly. They quickly plastered the fakest smiles I have ever seen them wear on their face.

"N-Nice to meet you, Zach," my auntie said, her eyes glistening with fresh tears. I watched her in confusion until she quickly excused herself and ran off upstairs, my uncle following close behind.

"What...just happened?" I asked, but Zach just shrugged and turned his attention back to the TV screen.

"I should probably go," he said quietly, refusing to meet my eyes.

"No, don't feel like you have to go because of them. Stay for dinner, please?" I pleaded, trying not to sound too desperate and I heard him sigh, before his eyes finally met mine.