Chapter 18

School was finally over and I was looking around the school grounds for Adrian, students stood leaning against lockers, getting their final conversations in before leaving.

"I'm telling you, Adrian just got up and left." I turned my head in the direction of the voice to see two girls I didn't recognise, deep in a conversation.

I stepped up to the girl who spoke, clearing my throat. She jumped slightly, turning her wide eyes on me as she stuttered, "c-can I h-help you, s-sir?"

I didn't like being called sir, nor did I like people treating me like a higher up. I was the keeper to the King's best knight, that was all.

"You said something about Adrian?" I inquired, where is that boy?

"Y-yes sir. He was in my last class but suddenly he just got up and left, it was all rather strange, but the teacher didn't even bat an eyelid." She continued rambling but I was no longer listening. I excused myself, cutting her off, leaving her once again shocked, but I didn't stick around.

I raced down the hallway, looking for any sign of the one person who most likely knew where Adrian had ran off too.

He always wore a guard when in the human world, it was for his protection, but I still thought it was an incredibly stupid idea, I mean how is he ever going to find his keeper with a guard up?

He was usually one of the last to leave so he had to be around here somewhere, I turned the corner quickly and nearly crashed into a couple of students.

I quickly apologised and that's when I saw him, he was with a couple of guys; human. They were caught up in a conversation and I just stood watching, until his eyes fell on me.

He raised an eyebrow as he got closer, telling his friends to go on ahead. When they were finally out of earshot, he spoke.

"I hear Adrian is back."

"Yes sir. You haven't seen him yet?" I thought maybe he had requested Adrian's assistance. If that wasn't it, then where the hell is he?

"Not as such. I was informed of some intrusion in Galtolga, nothing serious. Adrian's assistance was required, which is why he left school early. I was told they had it under control, but I am on my way there now to make sure."

I nodded, taking in the newfound information, "Can I come with you?" I know it was a stupid question, but I had to make sure my love was okay.

"I do not think Adrian would approve," he spoke calmly, almost hoping I would agree to stay here.

"Please sir, I-I can't lose him again..." I tried to keep the sadness out of my voice, but it wasn't easy, and he was incredibly sharp, he caught it and his eyes softened.

"Stay beside me," was all he said, and I nodded, following suit.

Ten minutes later we were in Galtolga and things were looking bad. We were immediately bombarded by guards, rushing to speak to the king. Nobody paid me any attention.

"Sir! Jaxson was not alone; he had an army of men."

"Your highness, we hear Adrian was attacked in his house in the human world. The man was one of Jaxson's men."

"They've come for Adrian, sir."

"We tried to stop them but there were too many."

"What is it you will have us do, Sir?"

Everyone spoke at once, but I still caught a lot of what was said, and my heartbeat started to pick up. No...please say Adrian is okay.

The king cleared his throat, and silence followed as he nodded in my direction. The guards all turned towards me as their eyes widened one by one. They didn't know I was here, or they wouldn't have said anything.