Chapter 5

Looking through the mirror, I stared down at the pendant in shock. It had never done that before, not that I'd seen anyway.

My hand slowly reached up to touch the necklace, but before my fingers could even brush against it, a ringing erupted in my ears. Pain surged through my head, and I instinctively brought my hands up to cover my ears but it was no use, the piercing ring was in my head.

My mouth fell open in a silent scream, my eyes clenched shut, wishing the pain away as I fell to my knees, but the ringing never stopped, until eventually I blacked out.

~

"Adrian! Can you hear me?"

I slowly took in my surroundings, my vision blurred. A boy around my age knelt beside me, but I couldn't make out his features, everything was too blurry.

Across the room lay a man, covered in blood. A bloody blade lay by my side. Did I do that? I tried to move but to no avail, my body would not cooperate. Was I dying? I couldn't help but wonder, noticing my own blood surrounding my body.

The man lay still, his eyes open but there was no life in them, he was dead. My head lolled to the side and there in the palm of my hand lay the amulet, a blinking glow slowly dying out. The blinks got slower and slower, until eventually the blinking stopped, and my eyes fell closed.

~

Beep....Beep.....Beep.....Beep

Urgh, my head hurt, and the beeping noise wasn't helping. I moved my hand quickly, attempting to turn off my alarm.

"Oww..." Well, maybe if you weren't making so much noise, I wouldn't have to hurt you.

Wait...my eyes sprung open and I jumped up in bed to find Zach rubbing his face. What was he doing in my room?

Letting my eyes adjust, I quickly scanned the room to find white walls, well white everything really, and in that moment I realised I wasn't in my room; I was in the hospital.

"What happened?" I asked, turning my attention back to Zach who was still rubbing his face, with a pout on his lips.

"I don't really know, coach came running when he heard you scream, and found you laying on the ground in the locker rooms, blood coming from your ears."

My hands darted up to my ears but there was nothing there. I glanced over at Zach who was looking at me with concern, should I tell him about the ringing?

"Adrian! Thank god you're okay." My auntie came rushing towards me, her arms wrapping around me tightly, my uncle followed close behind.

"My poor baby, what happened?" She cooed, her eyes inspecting me to make sure I was okay.

"I'm fine, Auntie June. I'm not quite sure what happened."

"What do you remember?" My uncle asked and I sighed aloud, deciding to just tell them the truth.

"I was in the locker rooms, Zach had just left, and I noticed my necklace glowing in the mirror, the one my mum gave me. I went to touch it, but before I could a high-pitched ringing filled my ears, I tried to block out the noise but I'm pretty sure it was in my head, then I blacked out." I shrugged, trying not to make a big deal about it.

All three of them stared at me in curiosity, as I stared back in confusion.

"The necklace was glowing?" My uncle asked slowly, and I nodded, my fingers reaching up to where the pendant lay.

"Maybe he had a fit?" Aunt June suggested, and at that I lay back and closed my eyes, not ready to hear them spill excuses to distract me from the truth. This was all happening for a reason, I knew that. I just wasn't ready to find out what that reason was.