The Report

Working for Madame Adelaide isn't the most fun job you can have

Working for Madame Adelaide isn't the most fun job you can have. In fact it's far from it. All I do all day is fetch her tea and on a particularly grouchy day give her a massage. I appreciate that it is not the hardest work but if you have ever smelled her putrid old feet you would feel the same way. It astounds me how anyone can stand being in the same room as Adelaide.

Today Madame Adelaide has a dinner party so I am 'permitted' to finish early. With this extra time I decide to rush home and relax. Clearly this is not the universes idea though, the second my foot crosses the threshold my mum berates me with countless question. From what I can understand she's still hung up on the idea of me entering the competition. The Selection. The way the next queen is chose from a random group of 35 woman. How exciting, clawing at each other over a boy.

Like every Friday night the whole family, like the whole nation, crowds around the small tv box as we indulge in the report. This is mostly because it's the only program we can watch (as it's for free) but also because it is mandatory. Don't get me wrong it's not like we are being fed propaganda or some infamous power is constantly watching over us. The royals want to be certain that all of their citizens know about the politics that are occurring in our country at the present. Not to mention that they dedicate a full half an hour to the stupid competition and how 'it would be an honour for any woman of any caste to be graced with the presence of our esteemed prince, and compete for his heart'. This is typically the point when I zone out and think about my never-ending to do list.

"Did you hear that Em? See they are taking girl from our caste!" Poppy's sweet voice brakes my train of thought."you could be the next princess. And that would mean that I would be a princess! I can wear a crown and big fancy dresses, oh and even grown up heels!" at this point she is practically crawling her way up my side and her big brown pupils are staring wondrously into my dull blue ones. Seeing the hope in her eyes makes me feel absolutely terrible and selfish for not wanting to enter. This decision won't just effect me but it could change Poppy's life too. Ugh, every time I think I've come to a conclusion something has to come along and change my mind. This is so confusing.

"Poppy you know if I do enter there's a one in a million chance that I will ever get chosen. If I even do there will still be thirty-four other amazingly talented and beautiful girls the prince would rather choose. anyways, I'd rather stay here with you" I try explaining but see the defeat wash over her face. Immediately the growing pit of guilt doubles. Feeling both of my parents intent gaze on my back I quickly whisper to Poppy to try and salvage the hope I just shattered before my own eyes."You'll always bee my princess. Isn't that right princess Poppy?" and to my delight she hugs the life out of me.

staring up at the plain ceiling I start compiling a list to help me come to a finale decision. Will I enter the dreaded contest? The most obvious negative is that I would have to act like I don't absolutely hate the prince that I am 'trying to make him fall in love with me'. Who even came up with such a ridiculous idea, no-one could ever find love in that sort of situation. The only person who benefits from it is the prince himself as he has thirty-five women who will throw themselves all over him and do anything he asks. I refuse to be one of them. Anyway, I would also have to be away from Poppy and the rest of my family and that has never happened before. Honestly I don't know if i would be able to cope. at least it would give the prince a reason to dismiss me from the competition. Now for positives. The money for one and I might make some new friends but thats about it. The real question is can I suffer through it for my family?