New Arrival

"In the next couple of hours the queen's family will arrive here, at the castle. All of you need to be on your best behaviour or there is no doubt you will fail to stay here any longer than a few days" Julia announces giving us a stern look. "Over the weeks to come there will be occasions where you are expected to socialise and dance with guests and we will be practicing these skills. I have invited some of the royal guards to help us today with dancing" she says gesturing towards the guards around the room. "Everyone find a partner and we will begin". Looking around the room I recognise one of the guards as the man who showed the girls to the safe room. Upon seeing my lingering stare he starts to wonder my way.

"Lady Emily, it's a pleasure to see you again" he says while bowing.

"The pleasure's all mine" I reply. "You're the officer who led the girls to safety" I start up a conversation.

"I am. My name's Derik" he introduces himself.

"Well I would like to thank you Derik" I smile as the couples around us start to dance.

"If it wasn't for you Lady Emily no-one would be here" Derik says. All of a sudden Julia is besides me.

"I thought today we could work a little bit on conversation starters" she offers, practically pulling me towards the corner of the room where she can oversee the dancing while still helping me.

I'm currently sitting on my bed listening to the girls go over my numerous outfit choices for the arrival of the queen's family. The conversation turns to arguing within minutes. Having heard enough, I push myself up and start to walk towards the closet. Felling that the pain has started to subside, I reach the room and start to look through the dresses. Finally finding one suitable enough I start to get changed.

After struggling for a while I'm fully dressed and limp over to the bed as the pain steadily increase

After struggling for a while I'm fully dressed and limp over to the bed as the pain steadily increase. Not noticing my presence the girls continue their now pointless bickering.

"Can someone help me with my hair?" I ask grabbing their attention. "I have to be down in half an hour" I point out, which causes the girls to rush around.

"Good choice emily. All the other girls will be dressing up extravagantly, making you stand out" Ann comments looking at my choice of outfit. I just nod in reply, not really caring what the other girls think but that this is the plainest dress I could find.

"Lucy can you help me downstairs?" I ask once I'm all ready.

"No need. One of the guards offered to help you till your leg has fully recovered" she smiles down at me. I inwardly sigh. At least with the girls I would know them but I have no clue who this guard is.

"He's waiting outside for you" Anne adds. I hesitantly push myself through the door with a last smile from Gretel. 

"Good evening Lady Emily" I turn to see Derik waiting outside my door.

"Hello Derik, please call me Emily I don't like the whole 'lady' thing" I laugh relieved that it's him.

"Alight Emily. So let's take you to meet the others" he cheerily says emphasising my name. We take the long way to the palace entrance, talking while we go. We converse about everything from family to favourite desserts (my favourite topic). "From what I've heard you're the prince's favourite" Derik changes the subject as we turn a corner.

"I'm not sure about that" I laugh as we start to approach the small crowd of girls, most of them sending me glares.

"Well they seem to think so" he whispers, gesturing with his head towards the endless sea of glares.

"They are only jealous that you're walking with me and not them" I laugh at his reddened cheeks.

"Girls listen up. The queen's family will be here in a minute so I would like you to all line up outside to the right side of the entrance. The royals are just coming and they will welcome the guests and bring them into the dinning room where you all will be having dinner", with Julia's orders the girls start to fight for the spot closest to the royal family. 

"Should we join in" Derik remarks trying not to laugh at the scene in front of us.

"No, let's just watch" I laugh as Alice ultimately pushes her way to the most wanted position. I'm shocked when I see her gestures for Grace to join her, but what's more shocking is that Grace leaves Amber and Elise to stand next to the girl ,I thought, we all hate. Shaking my head in confusion I notice that there is now a neatly formed line. "Let's go over there", I point to the end of the line farthest from Alice. Now next to Elise I see the same confusion I have mirror in her face. "When did they get close?" I ask.

"She's been distant ever since after the attack" Elise answers in a sad voice. Our attention is snapped to the palace door as whispers start to grow. 

"Are they always this excitable?" Derik whispers in my ear.

"Only always" I laugh, "especially when the prince is involved" I add.

"My ears are starting to hurt" he complains as one of the girls erupts in shrill giggles.

"Lady Olivia, keep it down" Julia reprimands the girl.

All of a sudden the palace gates open to reveal a sleek black car. Stopping in front of us a butler quickly moves to open the door. First comes a women I've seen once or twice on the report and remember as the queen's sister. Dressed in a full lengthen evening gown her brown hair flows in the slight breeze. Walking over to greet her sister she is followed by a well dressed man around the same age, I presume this is her husband. He goes straight over to the king making casual conversation. Followed by him is the last of the family, a dark eyed boy dressed in a fashionable grey suit who seems the same age as me. Unlike the rest his eyes go straight to scanning across the selected instead of the royal family. His intense gaze lingers a bit too long over me, catching the attention of those around us.

"Lewis it's good to see you" Cayden moves over to his cousin but those dark eyes don't leave me. "These are the selected" Cayden introduces us as the rest of the girls curtsey and I politely lower my head.

"I can't wait to get to know you" Lewis speaks for the first time. Lifting my head I'm yet again met by his almost black eyes. Nervously I swallow trying to avert my eyes anywhere else. 

"Shall we go in for dinner" the queen offers and the small crowd follows in. 

"Wow the prince's cousin was basically undressing you with his eyes" I hear Derik whisper confirming everyone noticed. Great. "Try to relax you're all stiff" he says while pushing me into the dinning room. Seeing my seating plan in real life actually makes me happy, everything seems to have worked well. But where am I sat? Feeling like a fool I realise the only person I didn't think about when making the seating arrangements was me. Seeing Derik steer me towards a gap in the furthest table I curse myself when I see who I'm sat next to. "And this is where I leave you" he says with a sorry smile. Pushing me into place I thank him and wave goodbye before turning back to the table.

This is going to be a long evening.