Unwelcome Feelings

"It's really beautiful but I can't wear it" I say looking at the large bright pink ballgown the girls are currently trying to convince me to wear. The top is weighed down by about a million gems and the skirt is so puffy I'm convinced I won't be able to walk in it.

"Why not?" Lucy asks looking perplexed.

"I can't pull it off" I lamely explain, although this is half true."Anyway I'd probably just fall over" I add making Lucy laugh. Quickly she stops and gets back to work.

"Are you sure?" She questions and I can see the hope in her eyes.

"It would look really nice on you" Gretel says in her delicate voice.

"Do you have anything less puffy?" I ask not backing down. I will not be like all the other girls here trying to impress the prince. I'm not here for him. I don't want to seem too ungrateful though so I offer a smile.

"I'll go and look" Anne says while walking back into the wardrobe.

"Thank you" I call after her although I know she probably can't hear me. Only moments later she walks back in with a new dress in her hands.

"How about this? The top is plain but the bottom adds colour" Anna explains her choice. "Also it's the most basic dress we have" she says and I can see the hidden embarrassment that she didn't mean to show. I take the dress from her and look for myself. Honestly I actually love it!

"It's perfect thank you" I say whilst hugging the girls

Quickly pulling the dress on the girls finish doing my hair in a stylish bun. After adding a couple flowers to the look, I'm practically pushed out of the room and down the hall. Without even noticing it I'm back with the group of insufferable girls. Looking around at their chosen outfits I immediately burst out laughing. I can't believe they are this desperate. Half of the girls are wear enormous jewelled gowns that look like multicoloured marshmallows, while the other half are wearing extremely skin tight dresses with slits practically showing their underwear. Most of these girls seem really nice and all of them are beautiful, they could have any man they want back in my town. Why are they so infatuated with the prince?

"Now girls you will all enter one at a time and sit at your assigned place. Please make an orderly line" Julia orders. Before she's even finished I'm being budged out of the way as all the girls fight for the first spot. This doesn't bother me. Actually, I prefer going in last it means I have to spend less time smiling and pretending to have a good time. I make my way to the back of the line. Eventually all the girls stop bickering and form a line; Alice at the from and me and the back. Gradually the line thins, girls leaving every couple of seconds. It only takes a matter of minutes for the corridor to become completely empty except for me and Julia. "Okay it's your turn" Julia says opening the door. This causes an unexplainable nervousness to find a home at the pit of my stomach.

Taking tender steps into the dinning hall I wipe my now sweating hands on my skirt. Click, Click, Click. The noise of my heels echo through the hall. As I get halfway into the room I stop and look up. Seeing four pairs of eyes string intently at me judging my every move only builds my growing pit of nerves. Not being able to find my voice I slowly lower into a deep curtsy and make my way to my seat.

"Are you ok?" Grace whispers in my ear as I clasp my shaking hands.

"Yeah I'm fine" I answer trying to convince myself more than anything. What is wrong with me?

"Emily you look as white as a sheet" Elise quietly adds leaning over the table.

"Try having some water" Amber suggests pushing my glass towards me. Reluctantly I pick it up still slightly shaking. After taking a few sips I fell myself calm down.

"Thanks" I sigh starting to relax. "I honestly don't know what came over me".

"It's nerves, don't worry we all feel it when were around the prince" Grace explains. I laugh inwardly. She couldn't be more wrong.

Enjoying the most delicious dinner I have ever had, I rush out once we are dismissed. Knowing full well that I'm gaining glares from every girl I don't stop pushing past them and up the stairs. Pushing the door open I startle the girls as I flop down on my bed with a loud frustrated groan. It's only been one day and I don't know how much longer I can keep up the fake smiles and pointless conversation.

"Emily, what's wrong" Lucy asks coming over and rubbing circles across my back reassuringly.

"I'm just over tiered" I mutter into the pillow.

"I know the perfect thing for that" Anne exclaims evidently happy that she can help. "Gretel can you run the bath please?", and with that the girls start bustling around. Once I hear the water stop I know the bath is ready and reluctantly push myself off of my front and sluggishly walk into the bathroom. After waiting a few moments I realise the girls aren't leaving.

"Umm... not to be rude or anything but I'd prefer if I was alone" I try to sound kind although I'm sure my current mood clouds this.

"Of course" they all answer, exiting together.

Finally, I'm alone.