The Women Room

I've never really had time to read before now. Usually it's seen as a past time for the twos. In this moment I can see why they like it so much. You become transformed into the character and taken on a journey in their world. The best thing about it is that for as long as you're reading all your troubles seem nonexistent. Sitting on the comfortable window ledge of the women room I read the classic fairytales of my childhood. Although we couldn't afford the books somehow my mother still knew every word and made the stories come alive. Daring princes, beautiful princesses and horrid evil creatures. I was always jealous of the characters in the stories and wanted desperately to live in their world, but in reality I can't.

A tapping brings my attention to the window next to me. Seeing a single droplet of rain making it's way down the spotless pane of glass, I put down the book I've been reader most of the day and start to open the window.

"Emily what are you doing?" Grace whispers from beside me. Not breaking my attention from the window I reply.

"Openning the window".

"It's raining!" she shouts in a lowered voice, clearly not wanting any of the other girls to hear our conversation. Finally, I figure out how to undo the hatch and start to lean out of the window. "Emily are you crazy?" she harshly whispers pulling on my dress.

"What's the worst that can happen?" I argue sitting back down but refusing to shut the window.

"You could fall!" Grace exclaims forgetting to whisper. The girls nearest to us start to stare.

"Okay Grace I get it, just calm down" I plead slouching into the plush cushions. Out of the corner of my eye I see Elise and Amber make there way towards us. I takes them a couple of minutes to manoeuvre through the crowd of oversized ball gowns. Once they arrive Elise sits along with me on the windowsill, while Amber sits with Grace on one of the many chairs scattered around.

"So what was that about" Elise asks with evident curiosity.

"Emily was just about to fall to her death!" Grace explains but this time is able to keep her voice quiet.

"Grace you're such a drama queen" I laugh at her exaggerated version of events."I just wanted to touch the rain" I say longingly looking out of the now drenched window.

"Why would you want to do that?" Amber asks the question that everyone is clearly thinking.

"Because it's the best weather" I answer still watching the rainfall.

"How is rain the best-" before Elise can finish the clock rings three. This seems to be a secret message as all of the girls start to leave. Still sitting I watch as the crowd starts to thin out. Looking over her shoulder Grace notices me and starts to sigh.

"Come on we need to go" she says frustrated.

"Why?" I ask in complete confusion.

"We have to get dressed for dinner" Grace says turning and living me alone in the women room. Now that the room isn't packed with thirty five teenage girl I can appreciate its beauty. The walls are painted a pastel pink with white intricate flowers dotted around. A huge wooden bookcase covers on of the walls and opposite it sit four round tables with matching white chairs. The most impressive part by far is the elaborate chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Taking in the bright light refection on each small crystal makes me unexplainably happy. It seem that each crystal glows and adds even more brightness. They all add to the bigger picture. You could say that's kind of like the casts, each one has a part and makes up each city. Lost in my own world I don't even realise when the door opens and someone walks in.

"shouldn't you be getting ready for dinner sweetheart?" A soft voice asks. Snapping my head down I stand up at once. The queen is standing right in front of me.

Quickly curtsying I start to walk out and mutter a quiet "yes your highness".

I silently wonder to myself, when will I get to leave?