Pancakes

The dinning hall is the biggest room I've ever been in

The dinning hall is the biggest room I've ever been in. It could probably fit everyone from my town in it! two chandeliers hang from the golden painted ceiling, illuminating the emense space. Trying to take in everything I see windows linking the right side of the room, looking out to the front gate, numerous maids and butlers scattered around and the three tables dressed with delicate white table clothes, china dishes and golden cutlery. Making my way over to one of the empty seats on the table to the right, my heals click on the marble floor; echoing through the buzz of chatter. Sitting down I look at the copious amount of cutlery. Why would someone need five spoons? One for each bit? spending about five minutes just looking at the contents of the table, I hardly realise when Grace comes and sits next to me.

"Well that went terrible" she deadpans.

"What do you mean?" I ask concerned.

"Well he spent over ten minutes talking to you and then rush through me and Annabel" Grace companies causing me to feel incredibly guilty.

"I'm so sorry Grace, I didn't know we were talking for that long" I say in all honesty. Saving from the impending awkward silence between us the doors open once again revealing the whole royal family. Thank the lord that I didn't forget my manners this time. As everyone's attention moved on to the royals, we all started to stand up.

"Good morning girls" the king greets and we all reply with "good morning your highness". With that they move over to the head table and sit down. The king looks like an older version of prince Cayden, except he is wearing a black suit. Wearing an elegant light blue dress, that makes me look like a little girl, the queen give her husband a quick kiss before telling one of the butlers to serve breakfast. Sitting next to the prince is his younger sister princess Avery, who is about the same age as Poppy. The princess has always been my favourite royal, she reminds me of my sister. Just think of her makes my eyes fill with tears. I miss Poppy. Taking a deep shaky breath I try to prevent the tears from spilling out.

"Are you ok?" Grace asks with concern evident on her face. As an attempt to comfort me she clasps my hand between hers.

"Yeah, just a little homesick" I brush off. I can see the questions behind her eyes but just when she's about to ask our plates are put in front of us. Wow. Stacks upon stacks of food are piled on my plate. This could feed my whole family!

"What is this?" I question pointing to my plate, grabbing a random fork in the process.

"It's pancakes. Have you never had them before?" the girl sitting across from me speaks up causing a couple more girls to become interested. Having just theses few pairs of eyes starts to make me feel anxious. continuing to sip from her glass cup the girl eyes me obviously expecting an answer.

"No" I reply shyly watching the mixture of confusion and surprise overcome their expressions.

"Well I'm Elise Woods" she introduces herself. While dipping her knife into one of the many pots of topping, she comments "the best way to eat them is with the chocolate spread".

"Absolutely not!" the girl next to me adds. She looks like one of the oldest here. "The only way to eat them is with fresh strawberries", and with that she delicately cuts up her pancakes and starts eating.

"No Amber, for once you are completely wrong" Elise laughs while enjoying her breakfast.

"Well how about I have both chocolate and strawberries?" I suggest waiting for someone to disagree. To my surprise no-one does.

"Sound like a good compromise" Amber says nodding in aproval. without the need to ask, Elise passes the chocolate spread and Amber offers the strawberries. I begin to get to work preparing my breakfast. A sharp intake of breath followed by grace stiffen beside me makes my mind switch from food to her. Why is she so tense? Looking over to her I see her hands smoothing her pink ruffled dress. Observing her restricted breathing and flushed face I decide to intervene.

"Grace?" I ask hesitantly. Her head snaps in my direction causing her delicate bun to become a bit disheveled. "What's wrong" I whisper making sure no-one else can hear me.

"He's watching" she states as though it's the most obvious thing, while giving me a look that I can't decipher.

"Who?".

"Prince Cayden" she whispers sitting up straighter and looking at the head table from the corner of her eyes.

"I'm sure he's looking at everyone Grace. Just relax a bit ok?" I mumble going back to my cooling breakfast. Just looking at it makes my stomach audible rumble. This causes both me and Elise to laugh.

"No I'm being serious he's not looking anywhere else" she exclaims while nudging my side.

"Isn't that suppose to be a good thing?"I halfheartedly continue the conversation. All my real efforts are put into trying to restrain myself from gulping down my breakfast in as little as five bites. This is a test of will power, and I'm currently loosing. starting to dig in I voice my annoyance at being interrupted from eating in the first place,"if you hate it so much why don't you ask him to stop staring at you?".

"Because he's not looking at me!" she grunts in frustration. so much for being ladylike. yet again the persistent nudges continue.

"could you please stop that I'm actually trying to eat here" I snap in frustration.

"Just look at the prince" Grace huffs out in annoyance.

"I'd rather eat" I say looking down at my meal again.

"stop being so stubborn!" she scolds me. Placing down my cutlery I turn to my new friend and reply.

"Fine". All I want to do is eat! Why cant't she understand that. Sighing I hastily turn to face the royals. Immediately I am met by the same blue eyes and perfectly maintained hair that I secretly wished that I didn't have to see again so soon. Seeming surprised by me noticing his glance the prince combs his fingers through his hair and moving his focus towards his plate.

"How do you do it?" Elise questions in wonder glancing from me to the prince.

"Do what?" I ask in bewilderment.

"Make the prince like you in less than an hour?" Amber adds as if it's the most marvellous thing.

"Yeah right" I scoff. Truly there is no possible way he likes me and I'm glad, it means I am one step closer to leaving.Going home."He doesn't like me", and this time I can contain my laughter. To my embarrassment my outburst comes out much louder than I though. Flustered my eyes go to the head table and I see a glint of humour glisten in Prince Caydens eyes.

"Well then why is he still staring?" Grace whispers.

"Not even a day in and your already winning" Elise humourlessly laughs trying to cover up her envy. I don't understand why these girls like the prince so much. They don't even know him. None of us do.

"Sorry to break up the party but honestly do any of you think you could possibly win?" a girl a couple seats down laughs loud enough to catch our whole tables attention but not the royal. By the comment and her tanned skin I can guess that she's a two. the almost white hair is a complete contrast to her skin tone and bright red strapless slim fitting mermaid styled dress."That's what I thought", her sickly laugh spills out again. Who is this rude girl?

"Before we came here I heard that Alice was a piece of work" Elise whispers with extra caution. And then it clicks, Alice Johnston the model. That would explain the tan.

After this we continued talking about the prince , well I just listened, but all the same. By a long shot the best part of breakfast was pancakes. They were like sweet clouds and the topping made my mouth completely water. I had to continuously touch around my lips to make sure I didn't have chocolate smeared all over myself. Admittedly I was hardly paying attention to any word being said.

Poppy would love this!