Aftermath

Emily POV

Closing the door sharply behind me, I heave a sigh of relief at the now familiar room. My forehead against the cold wooden surface of the door soothes me and allows all the current events to sink in.

"Emily are you alright", Anne's voice makes my head snap around, letting her take my distraught expression in.

"Yes. I feel a bit ill" I say stumbling towards my bed whole Anne trails behind me.

"I'll help you get ready to have a rest" Gretel suggests and I tiredly comply.

"How was your walk with the prince?" Lucy asks with a sneaky tone. I just shrug in reply unable to bring myself to explain the awfulness of the last hour. With my non committal reply no further questions are asked and I'm left alone with my constantly churning mind.

After tossing and turning, I finally give in to the fact that there's no way I'm going to be able to get to sleep. Not wanting to have to sit in the women's room or see Cayden, I decide to aimlessly roam the endless maze of the palace.

Finding myself walking down the familiar corridor I let my feet walk into the music room. Then the music fills me as I sit myself in front of the grand piano and immerse myself in the all too well known song from my childhood. (Mad World by Jennifer Ann, video at the top)

"All around me are familiar faces

Worn out places, worn out faces

Bright and early for the daily races

Going nowhere, going nowhere

and their tears are filling up their glasses" I get completely lost in the music as I let all the pent up emotions from earlier. Feeling a tear carve it's path down my cheek I let it fall. "No expression, no expression

Hide my head, I wanna drown my sorrow

No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kinda funny

I find it kinda sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had". Images of my mother sitting at the piano and sing this song to Poppy and I cloud my mind.

"Children waiting for the day they feel good

Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday

And I feel the way that every child should

Sit and listen, sit and listen

Went to school and I was very nervous

No one knew me, no one knew me". Hearing the definite sound of heels on the marble floor I am brought out of my daydream. Seeing the queen smiling down at me I hastily rub the tears dry from my flushed cheeks. "Your Highness" , I rush to my feet and curtsy.

"I just hear the lovely sound of music and had to investigate" she cheerfully waves off my formalities. Conversing with the queen about random things from music to pets makes me feel like I'm simply talking to my own mother, and I love that feeling. Too soon her maids call her to get ready for dinner and I follow suit returning to my room seeing Anne, Lucy and Gretel busily putting together my outfit for the night. Having no energy to protest I grudgingly slip into the dress and let the girls busy themselves with my appearance.

About a half hour later I slowly make my way towards the dinning hall, knowing full well that I'm dreading the awkwardness

About a half hour later I slowly make my way towards the dinning hall, knowing full well that I'm dreading the awkwardness. Soon realising I'm the last one there, per usual, I take a steadying breath and try to create a confident front. striding into the large room I am instantly met by stares taking in my exposed skin. At a stop in front of the royal family I curtsy and look up to meet Cayden's sad gaze. Unable to bare it anymore I turn to my seat and avoid the curious eyes.

"I still don't know" Grace finishes her conversation before putting all of her attention on me. "Are you ok Emily?".

"Yes just a bit tired" I easily excuse and resort to mindlessly nodding along to the flowing conversation around me. Once desserts are served the queen starts a conversation.

"Emily how are you settling in?" she asks causing everyones attention to focus on me with shocked expressions. Great.

"Really good, thank you" I simply reply, wanting the attention to dissipate. 

"What's your favourite part of the castle?" she continues.

"It would have to be the music room or the gardens" and with that my gaze is pulled over to Cayden's intrigued one. 

"Avery hasn't stopped talking about you" the queen announces making some of the girls turn their gazes into glares. Well this is going well.

"Emily taught me how to play a whole song" Avery happily exclaims almost jumping in her seat. I laugh at how much Poppy would love her and am met by the Prince's small smile. What is wrong with my heart today it keeps on racing then stopping completely.

"I would love to hear it, if you don't mind" the queen turns her attention from her daughter towards me. I nervously fiddle with the edge of the table cloth.

"Of course I would love to". What have I gotten myself into?