Chapter 1: Reality

CHAPTER 1

I'm having a bad day, to say the least.

I am surprised that one of my black heels hadn't snapped yet, as I'm stomping through the busy New York streets with a pounding force. Yet the people walking next to me don't even give me a second glance, because rushing down streets is what New Yorkers are famous for. They probably assume I am running late, that I have somewhere to be.

Little do they know, they are positively, horribly wrong. I have no where to be. I have no where to go.

This is all my fiancé- wait, excuse me... ex-fiancé's fault, of course. Ryan Coleman, the man I was making wedding plans with only two weeks ago, has just effectively gotten me fired from my job. And in the most humiliating way possible, might I add.

As my adrenaline simmers down and the reality of my unemployment sets in, I suddenly start to feel a little light headed. I stop abruptly, causing the man behind me to slam into my back.

"Watch where you're going, lady!" he cries before bustling off again. I stare in his direction long after he has been swallowed by the crowd. That man obviously has somewhere to be. Maybe off to a meeting with his boss, or some new clients.

I can't believe that I don't have that anymore.

Ryan and I had a bad break-up, to put it lightly. Basically, I had walked in to our shared apartment one evening, unplanned. I was supposed to have gone out to dinner with my friends Kenna and Rachel that evening, but Kenna said she was sick and Rachel had some thing with her boyfriend and cancelled on me. Ryan had told me that he was working late at the office that night.

Our office.

Dating your co-worker never works out, I knew that from the start, but Ryan and I were just so perfect. He swooned me, took me out on the most delightful dates. Before I even realized it, I had fallen for him. Hard. He was everything I ever looked for in a man, the perfect gentleman.

Of course, that's before I walked into our apartment and saw him and no other than Kenna, my so called best friend, in the middle of some hot and heavy sex. I threw up on the spot.

Even now, just remembering it, I can feel the bile rising in my throat. They had been so into it they didn't even realize I was there until I started screaming and crying hysterically. What a mess.

Of course, I said some things to Ryan that night that even I admit were a little harsh, but really, who could blame me? And he said some of those things right back. That night, I packed my things and moved to an apartment complex several blocks away. I haven't spoken to Ryan or Kenna since.

Which leads my to the main question, What on earth possessed my fiancé of six months to sabotage my career and cause me to lose my job?

I lean up against the wall and try to stop the tears from spilling out of my eyes, but it's pointless. I've cried more in this past week than I have in my entire life, and I hate it. I hate being the pathetic, weak woman who had a man break her heart. And also got me fired.

I don't think I've ever hated anyone as much as I hate Ryan right now. I swipe angrily at my tears, composing myself quickly as I begin heading down towards the subways. Now that I moved apartments, I can no longer walk to and from work. Yet another stress my stupid ex-fiancé has added to my life.

Though I guess I won't have to deal with that anymore.

On the subway ride home, I think of 32 different ways that Ryan could die. It's surprisingly entertaining. My favorite one is that he gets an STD from Kenna, and I make a weird noise that's somewhere between a laugh and a sob. The man next to me gives me a strange look, but instead of being embarrassed, I feel relieved.

The first thing I do when I get home is shower, singing loudly as I do so. I make up my own song and most of the lyrics have something to do with cursing Ryan to the fiery pits of hell. After I'm done with that, I walk around my apartment, tracing my hand over the walls. Now that my period of anger and moodiness has faded, reality is like a slap in the face.

I am 22 years old, living in New York City, alone. I am unemployed and my chances of finding a job are not very hopeful once the rumor of how I got fired starts to spread. And in the business world, rumors spread like wildfire.

Guess I better start putting my resume out tomorrow.

********************************************

A/N: NEW STORY YAY. ok first off this chapter is dedicated to the lovely @freeasniall for making my beautiful cover(: secondly, PLEASE vote/leave me a comment giving me some feedback on this new story! I know the first chapter is pretty short but it's basically just giving the back story and the next chapter will be much longer.

ILY ALL

p.s. I attached a picture of Leah to the sidebar>>>>>