Chapter 8: Friends

CHAPTER 8

Work is a lot more enjoyable now that Harry and I are on speaking terms. Right now, I'm grabbing some papers from his office, and he's been praising my chocolate clusters for the past five minutes.

"Seriously, there's no way these don't have some type of drug in it. They're so addicting," he moans, eating what I'm guessing is his tenth cluster of the day. Not to mention it's ten o'clock in the morning.

"Nope, only sugar," I reply, only half paying attention. The company models I'm supposed to be copying were sitting right on this counter an hour earlier, I could bet my life on it. However, now they are no where to be found. I frown and begin digging through the mess of papers sitting on the desk next to it.

"I don't know who likes them more, me or Edward," he comments. My back is facing him and I hear plastic rustling again. Dear lord, is he eating another one?

"Edward is kind of a chocolate addict," I agree, still shuffling through more folders on the desk. I'm starting to get a bit frantic. Where could I have put that stupid piece of paper?

"I think I'm starting to turn into one too," he sighs. "Hey what are you looking for, by the way?"

I throw the papers down in frustration. "Those company models you asked me to copy! I swear I put them right on this counter and they're not there!"

When I turn around, Harry seems amused by my little outburst and it's all I can do to not roll my eyes. Even though we are friends now or whatever you want to call it, he is still very annoying.

"You mean these company models?" he asks, holding up the sheet of paper I just spent ten minutes trying to find.

My face flushes instantly with anger and embarrassment. "Why didn't you tell me you had them?"

"Because it was funny," he says simply, and this time I do roll my eyes.

"I don't know how this company is so successful when the CEO is probably the most immature person I've met," I retort as I snatch the papers from his hand.

"Hey now, just because you're not on probation anymore doesn't mean I can't fire you," Harry warns me.

"How would you ever function without me?" I point out.

"Actually, I don't know. I've become a lot more dependent on you than I expected," he says quietly.

His serious answer to my teasing question surprises me. For once, I'm not exactly sure what to respond so I just stand there gaping at him like a dork. When I feel my cheeks burning I want to smack myself but instead I just give Harry a rather awkward smile.

"Thank you, Harry," I say finally. He nods, and for a few seconds we just stare at each other, not quite sure what else to say.

Then the office door flies open with a loud bang, and I'm so surprised it's a miracle I don't fall over. Harry looks startled as well and as none other than Ivy Jackson enters the room, taking in the scene in front of her with a satisfied smirk.

"Ok, nice talk Harry, so I'll just go get started on those company models now, bye!" My voice is slightly too high but I speed out of the room too quickly to be embarrassed.

I'm not exactly sure what just happened in there, but it was really weird. My heart is beating wildly for some reason. I tell myself that it's just because Ivy scared me but my stomach twists in an uncomfortable way.