Chapter 23: Reminder

CHAPTER 23

I'm bending over a filing cabinet in Harry's office, trying to find a file I need to complete one of my reports that morning when I hear the door swing open. I turn around to find my boss standing there, an unreadable expression on his face. I find the file I was looking for, close the cabinet, and turn to face him.

I smooth down my dress, which happens to be one of the drool-worthy outfits I bought over the weekend. It's short, but not any shorter than the dresses the other women in our office wear. The neckline is a little more revealing than usual, lined with lace and exposing just the slightest bit of cleavage.

Harry's not drooling but he certainly is staring at me. I send him a hesitant smile. "Good morning."

When he doesn't respond, I try once again to make conversation. "You look tired. Didn't you catch up on your sleep over the weekend?"

He seems to snap out of his little daze and scowls at me. "No, I didn't catch up on my sleep," he mimics me in a high pitched voice. "What the hell are you wearing? If that thing was any skimpier-"

"It's called a dress," I interrupt his rude comment. "I won't ask if you like it. It's obvious you don't."

I should have known he would react like this. Harry runs his fingers through his hair, messing up the slicked back style it had been in seconds before, and lets out a frustrated sigh. "Every man in this office is going to peeking down the top of that so-called dress..."

"So what?" I cross my arms defiantly over my chest. "Maybe I want them to stare."

"You want men to think your some sort of-"

"I wouldn't finish that sentence if I were you," I warn him, my eyes flashing. Harry flushes with anger but snaps his mouth shut, both of us remembering what he said to me at the dance. "And yes, I want them to stare. I'm not getting any younger- it's about time I find someone who is husband material and get settled down."

He studies me for a minute, his eyes roaming over my dress, his cheeks still tinted pink. Then his face hardens and he snaps his head down to look at the ground, shoving his hands angrily into his pockets.

"We shouldn't be discussing this. If you recall, the plan was to leave everything that happened on Saturday night in the past and put our relationship back on professional footing."

"I didn't start this." I glare at him but he continues to stare at the ground as if the carpet is the most interesting thing he's ever seen in his life. "You did when you made an unprofessional crack about my outfit."

"Consider this my apology," he says after a pause. I huff as Harry finally looks up and walks past me to his desk, not once meeting my eyes. So this is his plan, then? Completely ignore me and pretend I don't exist?

I leave his office with the file clutched tightly in my hand, upset that my new dress completely backfired. After what just happened I suddenly don't feel as guilty about ordering the CD.

++++++++++++

My bad mood hasn't vanished by the time noon rolls around. Renee suggests that we go out for lunch, and I jump at the chance to leave the office for a bit. I need a break from the sounds of doors slamming, the yelling, and most of all, from Harry's rejection.

Renee drives us to some local Mexican food joint where I feverishly search for any kind of salad on the menu. When I can't find one, I end up ordering tacos- because what the hell, I'm having a terrible day and also I just really love tacos.