Chapter 5: Mistake

picture of renee^^^

CHAPTER 5

I think that Harry is the most unorganized person I have ever met. For the next two weeks, he keeps me so busy that I barely have time to breathe. Between constant filing, taking his calls, and the many projects he assigns me, I'm busier than I ever was at Miller, and there I was the VP.

As I begin my next task, typing up models for several different companies, I hear laughter coming from Harry's office. My desk is conveniently positioned in the perfect place so that I can see through the window to his office. It's not like I spy on him or anything, but it's always nice to keep an eye on the enemy.

The person laughing is Louis Tomlinson, head of sales production and probably Harry's only friend at the company. I don't know what quality characteristics Louis can possibly see in him. I can't seem to get past the asshole gene.

Unlike Harry, Louis is very nice and easy to talk to. We've chatted a few times before when we were in the same elevator and things like that. Though Louis is a few inches shorter than his friend, his tousled brown hair and bright blue eyes make him a catch around the female employees.

That is, all of the female employees except for me. After the whole Ryan incident, I'm not ready for another relationship, and I'm certainly never dating one of my co-workers again.

Harry says something, Louis laughs again, and I scowl. It's a chain reaction. It's really hard to concentrate on company models when two of the top employees of the company are goofing off in the room next to you.

Fortunately, at the moment Renee Baker walks into my office, lunchbox and cell phone in hand.

"Come on, Leah," she says. "It's lunch break."

I smile gratefully at the pretty dark skinned woman in front of me. I might have just been butchering Harry for only having one friend in the office, but that applies to me as well. Renee is the only woman who was nice enough to eat lunch with me my first week, and we've stuck together ever since. In fact, she's Louis's secretary, so we actually do have a lot in common.

"Hold on, let me just go give Harry his sandwich," I tell her.

"Do you seriously bring him lunch every single day? You're spoiling him," she rolls her eyes at me.

"Yeah, that's the point. I have to kiss his ass so he won't fire me once my 30 days are up," I explain, grabbing Harry's lunch from the cooler I brought to my office. Unlike him, I can't afford a mini-fridge.

Renee waits outside as I walk into Harry's office, his lunch clutched in my hand. He and Louis are taking again, but I can't catch what they're saying as they both fall silent when I enter the room.

"Your lunch, Mr. Styles," I hand him the bag.

"Thank you, Leah," he says quietly. As much as he hates to admit it, I know that he is slowly becoming more and more dependent on me.

"Hi, Leah, how are you doing today?" Louis smiles cheerfully at me.

"I'm good, thank you Mr. Tomlinson," I say.

Harry stiffens in his seat, glaring at Louis. It's all I can do not to roll my eyes. He simply just can't grasp the concept that most people, normal people, actually are nice to me.

I quickly leave the office to avoid any more of Harry's rude behavior, and meet Renee out in the hall. Being the good friend she is, she listens to me rant about Harry all the way down to the cafeteria.