Chapter 36: Visitor

CHAPTER 36

With everything that happened this week, I forgot to go grocery shopping, so now I'm stuck at my apartment with only a few cans of soup, a can of Chef Boyardee, and some ham in the fridge that smells a little funky. I study my few options while pulling my hair up into a messy bun on the top of my head. Then I grab the Chef Boyardee and find my can opener.

While I'm waiting impatiently for my ravioli to heat up in the microwave, my phone buzzes loudly from its position on my kitchen counter. I pick it up and answer it without looking to see who's calling.

"Hello?"

"Leah," Harry says.

I hang up on him.

Seconds later, my phone is vibrating on the counter again but this time I ignore it. Instead, I take my dinner out of the microwave and sit down at the table.

But Harry doesn't just call me once. My phone buzzes over and over again while I attempt to eat my ravioli. Just ignore it, I tell myself firmly. He's not worth your time.

However, when ten minutes pass by and my phone still hasn't stopped vibrating I've had enough. Storming over to the counter in a half-crazed rage, I snatch up the phone and press it angrily to my ear.

"What the hell do you want?"

"Don't hang up," Harry begs. "I have to tell you something important."

"Go on with it, then!" I snap.

He lets out a breath. "I found out who sent that letter to cancel our reservations. I know who framed you."

My stomach twists uneasily. I have a pretty good idea of who sent in that letter, and I'm not sure that I want it to be confirmed.

"Who?" I ask after a pause.

"It was Hank," Harry says, "That security guard who caught us kissing in your car."

"What?" I croak. That was so not the answer I had been expecting. Of course, now that I thought about it rationally, it made complete sense- Hank had always hated me. Forging a letter to sabotage me was right up his alley.

"Yeah," Harry goes on, oblivious to my shock, "I looked at all the forms that we make every employee sign before the start working here and his handwriting was a perfect match to the one in the letter."

"Wow."

"Of course, he will be fired immediately," he adds.

"He- what?"

Harry laughs humorlessly. "Leah, Hank committed a crime by doing that to you. I don't want someone like that working for me."

My mind is spinning rapidly and I press my fingers to my temple. If Hank is fired, that means that Mr. Malik will never hear the voice recording. That means that I'm probably not going to lose my job anytime soon. That means that I have nothing to worry about anymore.

Unless, of course, Hank already sent him the recording.

I struggle to take in a breath since my heart is beating fast as I try to process this new information. Harry stays quiet in his end of the line and I clear my throat.

"So that's all you needed to tell me?" I question. "You probably called me over a hundred times."

"I- well, that was only part of the reason I called," he admits.