Chapter 39: Conversation

comment if you wish his hair was still like this^^^

CHAPTER 39

I stare blankly at the phone in my palm for several minutes after Harry hangs up on me. How different this phone call was then the one I had with Niall a few hours before. While it seems my work life is finally under control, my love life just crumbled into a million pieces.

Although I'm relieved that I finally told Harry about the stupid, idiotic CD, my chest still aches with pain over his reaction. I slowly walk past the sleek sports car that my boss bought for me and slide into my boring Honda. Rose is still expecting me.

My body feels numb the entire drive to my grandmother's house. Harry's cruel words repeat over and over in my head. I thought you were different, Leah Evans. But it looks like you turned out to be just like every other bitch I ever cared for.

....Every other bitch I ever cared for.

My fingers curl tightly around the steering wheel until my knuckles turn white. I tap the gas pedal impatiently, not caring that I'm going ten over the speed limit. All I know is that I have to get out of this car as soon as possible. Although it's only me and my thoughts, I feel as if I'm suffocating.

When I finally get to Rose's house, I let out a sigh of relief and pad up the walkway, knocking softly on the door. It swings open almost immediately, and the elderly lady smiles up at me.

"Hello, honey. You look like hell," she greets me.

"I feel like it, too," I try to joke back, but my voice cracks and suddenly I feel as if I'm about to cry.

My grandma pulls me into a tight hug. "Let's make some cookies, then. That always seems to make me feel better."

An hour later, Rose and I both stand in her kitchen with messy hands and a batch of cookies already in the oven. My shirt is slightly dusted with flour, but I couldn't care less. Instead, I begin measuring the baking soda for the next round of cookies.

"So, how are things going with Edward?" I ask her. It's the first serious thing either of us has said since I got here. I think Rose is being extra sensitive towards me right now, and I know she suspects me being upset has something to do with Harry. All she's talked to me about for the past thirty minutes is different places to buy sprinkles.

Rose pauses her stirring for a second before answering. "It's not. I'm not seeing him any longer."

"What? Why not?" I scoff. "For heaven sakes, Grandma, the man wants to marry you. How can you turn him down?"

"It's easy," she frowns, her stirring becoming slightly more aggressive as she speaks. "All I have to do is look in the mirror. My entire house is the size of one of Edward's ten guest bedrooms. I eat Cheerios for breakfast every morning and he has a professional chef prepare Eggs Benedict. We're too different from each other, and I'm too old to change that much."

I contemplate her answer as I begin whisking the dry ingredients together, a little flour spilling out the top and onto my shirt, making it even messier than it was before.

"Well, it's not like he's asking you to change," I point out.

"I know," Rose sighs. "In fact, last night he offered to come live at my place."

I look up at her in surprise, my whisking efforts forgotten. "You're kidding. What did you say to that?"

"I told him no, of course!" My grandma is now stirring with a furious vigor that I'm not sure even I could muster. "I don't want him to move here. It wouldn't be fair to him."