Chapter 3

Something wasn't right.

He felt himself lying on a bed. The bed was comfy. He wanted to stay on it and not open his eyes again. If only he could do that. To never open his eyes again and have to deal with the world would be a miracle. He should have been dead right now, yet he could still feel. He was obviously still alive. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

Not only that, but something wet kept touching his chest. He would feel it stroke his chest, then the feeling was gone for a few seconds. It went from his neck to his stomach before starting over again. Logain didn't mind the feeling, but he wondered what it was. All he needed to do to find out was open his eyes.

Groggily, he did so. At first, he didn't process what was going on. He saw Prince Casimir leaning over him. He had a wet cloth in his hand that he gently rubbed down Logain's body. The warlock closed his eyes once again until his brain started to function properly.

He quickly sat up and grabbed the blanket, pulling it up to his neck to cover himself from the prince. He didn't have his shirt on anymore, which bothered Logain. Being shirtless in front of another man shouldn't have been a big deal, but to him it was. It was more exposed that he had ever been in front of another person. What the prince was doing also bothered him.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Logain practically screamed at him. The prince shouldn't have been touching him in such a way. It wasn't proper.

"I'm taking care of you. After your little magic show, you passed out and since then you have been running a fever. I'm trying to bring it down," Casimir explained.

Logain's face was heating up again. He wasn't sure if it was because of his interaction with the prince right now, or if it was simply caused by the fever. He didn't feel very good, that was for sure. After what happened he felt like even more crap than before. He was surprised that he was still breathing. That performance of his should have been the death of him.

While they sat there in silence, the bartender walked into the room. She looked worried at first until she saw that Logain was still alive. She walked up to the edge of the bed, her hands on her hips. She looked at the warlock with a frown. "What were you thinking boy? You gave everyone a heart attack downstairs. People are starting to think that you're dead, so I came up to check on you."

He didn't remove the blanket. He certainly wasn't going to uncover himself when a woman was around. She might not have been interested in men, but he still had his boundaries. "I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me."

"Still, you could have died. I thought you magic folk had control over your magic." She waited for an explanation.

Logain wouldn't give one to her. They wouldn't understand how halfbreeds worked even if he explained it to them. He also didn't want them to know that he was dying because of this. So instead, he simply said, "It's a long story. Maybe another time I'll tell you."

There wouldn't be another time with how things were going for him. He just pushed himself one step closer to death after trying to use his magic. He would be gone before the next time came.

She dropped the subject but brought up another one right afterward. "Well, if you two aren't going to use this room, then I need to ask you to leave. I know that you are recovering, but I need this room for paying customers. I only loaned it until you woke up."

"I will pay for the room for the night. He needs time to rest and recover. I will pay you whatever you want so that he can stay here. We'll be gone in the morning." Casimir stood up from where he sat on the bed. He set the cloth down on the bedside table, then reached into his pocket. He pulled out a small bag of coins and handed it to the woman.