Chapter 18

Prince Casimir couldn't fall back to sleep. He stared at Logain's sleeping face beside him. The warlock looked peaceful.

Casimir got out of bed and got dressed. He got up as carefully as he could to not wake Logain up. When Logain didn't seem to be disturbed, Casimir made his way to the door. Maybe he needed some fresh air. That might make him feel better. He needed to get his thoughts together and being so near the person that he was thinking about wasn't making it very easy. He couldn't talk to Logain about what was bothering him. It would only depress him.

The prince left the room and tried to quietly make his way down the stairs. He didn't want to wake Logain and Tristan. By this time of night, Tristan was most likely in bed. Casimir walked to the front door when it came into sight.

"Where are you going this late at night? Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

He was startled when he heard the voice behind him. He quickly turned to face who spoke. While he walked to the front door, he did notice Tristan sitting on the couch. He walked right passed him.

"I need some air. I could ask you the same thing, you know. Why are you awake right now? It is late, after all." Casimir wanted the conversation to be focused on Tristan. He didn't particularly like this man, so he didn't want to tell him the real reason why he wasn't sleeping. He didn't want to share his thoughts with him, or anyone for that matter. It was something personal to him.

Tristan gave an awkward laugh. He scratched the back of his head and said, "Well, I did try to get some sleep. I almost fell asleep until I heard you two going at it. I was gone for a few hours so I thought you'd be done by then."

Oh, so Tristan heard that. Casimir wasn't ashamed by it, but hopefully Logain didn't find out. He would be so embarrassed if he knew that someone heard them.

Casimir shrugged. "You must have come back during round two. Sorry to keep you up."

He turned to leave, but once again Tristan stopped him.

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what is Logain's curse? I know that it is none of my business, but maybe I can help. I know a thing or two about curses," Tristan said.

The prince sighed. He would never get outside at this rate. "Short version; he's dying. His mother is a witch and his father is human. A warlock can't be both, so he's suffering because of it."

It wasn't his place to tell another about Logain's curse, but Tristan would have continued to ask if he didn't. He was nosy and fascinated with magical beings. He wouldn't let the subject go when it involved a warlock.

"Oh . . . that sounds really serious. Has he told you a way to save him?"

"Yes, but it requires someone giving up their life for him," Casimir answered.

"When he is about to die, what will you do? Will you give up your life for him?"

"It isn't that simple. We both have to agree to it. Even if I did, he would never let me do it. If it were up to me, I would save him in a heartbeat. He means that much to me." Casimir might have felt this way, but Logain would never allow it. He would never let someone sacrifice themselves to save him.

Tristan was silent for a moment. What the prince said didn't seem quite right to him. "He lied to you. You both don't have to agree to it. Logain said that so that you wouldn't try anything stupid, most likely. As long as you want to give up your life for him, you can. The warlock doesn't have to agree to the sacrifice. It is your choice. He can't stop the decision that you make. If you do, you have to do it right before he dies. Your life essence will then go to him. Your heart must be true, though. The slightest bit of fear will result in the sacrifice failing. You must be willing and have no doubts."

If what he said was true, then was there a chance to save Logain? Casimir loved him. He loved him since the first day that he saw him. He promised that he would make him happy and giving him the chance to live would give him the chance to find happiness, even if it was without Casimir. His happiness was worth dying for.

"How do I know that you are telling the truth? I don't think that Logain would lie to me like that." Casimir was skeptical. When Logain told him about the curse, they barely knew each other. Logain couldn't have thought that the prince would one day try to save him. He didn't have any reason to lie about it at the time.

"Why would I lie to you? You might not trust me, but I would never lie to you. Just think about it. I don't know much about Logain, but he doesn't seem like the type to open up to others that easily. Why would he tell a complete stranger how to lift the curse? Perhaps you should ask him about it now since you two seem quite fond of each other." Tristan stood up from where he was sitting. "Anyway, I'm going to try to get some sleep. Please, keep it down if you two do anything again."

With that, Tristan headed up the stairs and to his bedroom. Now that Casimir was finally alone, he could do what he intended to do. He still needed fresh air, but now he had more thoughts running around his mind.

If he could save Logain, then he would do whatever he possibly could. Even if that meant giving up his life so that Logain could live.

----

Sorry for not updating in almost a month. I feel so bad, but life is more important right now. I'm starting a new job so I will have less time to write. I'll try to get out another chapter this week or next, but no promises. My schedule is pretty packed.